Anything I should do to induce laying

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by FresheggsDoug, Aug 21, 2014.

1. FresheggsDoug

FresheggsDoug New Egg

Aug 15, 2014
    Charlottesville VA
    I have 6 chickens 3 golden comets and 3 sex links. I got them in March 2014. Should they be laying yet. And are there any old time tricks to maybe help them along with this laying process

2. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. They might be a little young yet. Most pullets begin laying around 6 months, occasionally a couple of weeks or so later, so you should be getting eggs soon. Also, if they are being free ranged, you might want to check the area around the coop just to make certain that none of them have started laying outside the coop somewhere. Also, I would put a fake egg (or even a golf ball will probably work) in each nest box to induce them to lay in the nest boxes. Please feel free to ask any more questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck in getting those eggs soon.

3. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    P.S. Golden Comet is one of many labels under which some hatcheries market their Red Sex Links. Are your other three, Black Sex Links? Or are they more Reds, which were sold under the correct label of Red Sex Link?

4. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    18 weeks would be the very earliest you would expect eggs. You will first see their combs enlarge and redden, and they will start hanging out in the nest boxes (this is called point of lay). When you see these signs, it will not be long.

5. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

Most chickens begin laying at 18-20 weeks of age, though this can vary considerably with different breeds and individual birds. Signs to look for are larger/redder combs and wattles, "squatting" when you try to pick them up, investigating of the nest boxes, and sometimes a change in voice.

6. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]We're glad to have you. As Bantamlover21 stated, most chickens will start to lay at around five months old, so your chickens should be pretty close to beginning. Some breeds and individual birds will take longer, while others may start early. For example, my Silver Laced Wyandotte started laying at 4 1/2 months, while my Rhode Island Red waited until about 5 months, one week.

7. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

They should be laying any time. You might get them started on layer feed and oyster shell on the side now. When they start to squat for you, the eggs should be coming down the pipe soon!

Good luck and I hope you start to get some eggs soon!

8. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Yup they should be to the laying age now. Be sure to provide extra calcium.

9. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Hope those first eggs show up soon!

10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Sending good laying vibes your way [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by