Anything on Cornish X laying?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Jilara, Aug 26, 2008.

1. Jilara

Jilara Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2008
    Bay Area, CA
    We got this group of three chickens, and one is a Cornish X. Since she has become my BF's pet, she can't be dinner, so hopefully she will at least lay us some decent eggs.

Does anyone have any experience with how Cornish X are as layers? She's huge, and I've heard that they don't lay well if they're fat. She's also just about 16 weeks. What age do they start laying?

Of course, I could just wait and see what happens...

2. bigzio

bigzio Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I'm sorry to tell you that cornish cross don't have longevity and are ment to have a short life....I wish I had better news for you....maybe you can establish a new favorite.

Heritage breeds have the ability to live long lives as well as lay eggs for along period of time....years!

bigzio

3. fullhouse

fullhouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    MI
    There is someone here with a cornish x that made it to a year. They do lay, just not well.

4. Jilara

Jilara Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2008
    Bay Area, CA
    Yes, I've told the BF not to get too fond of her, she's got an expiration date, but there you go... He keeps thinking maybe if she gets regular exercise, she'll last, but I'm more realistic. Maybe there will be at least a few eggs along the way...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by