1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

anything special i might need to know about raising chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by MattMansChickens, Jun 7, 2011.

1. MattMansChickens

MattMansChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2011
    Canada
    i know all the basics, and have done a ton of research, but is there anything else i might need to know about raising chicks? i get them tomorrow, the 8th

2. Urban Chaos

Urban Chaos Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2011
    Austin
    I'm sure you've read through the forums, so you are well armed. One thing to make sure of is that your brooder is not too hot. Some information that is out there about heat lamps leads to brooders that are just to hot for the chicks. Do you have any specific questions? What age are the chicks you are getting? What is your set up?

Have fun and prepare to be consumed by all things chicken [​IMG]

3. AKsmama

AKsmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    South Carolina
    When they sleep, they look dead. Many times I looked in my brooder and almost freaked out until I got used to it! When they get older and stretch out in the sun, they look dead too, almost like something stepped on them [​IMG]

Let's see. . . when you first offer them treats, they will probably run away or act freaked out. That's normal. Chickens are not the world's brightest creatures and are suspicious of everything and everybody until they have time to adjust.

Oh, one of my fave pieces of advice for a newbie- use a thermometer in your brooder. The whole "oh, you'll know if they are hot or cold by the way they act" doesn't always end so well for fragile little chicks. Have a thermometer to help you judge your temps.

Give them time to get used to you. It takes a lot of time and patience (and treats!) for them to NOT act like they're going to have a heart attack when you try to interact with them. They generally do not like to be held, cuddled, or picked up very often. Sit quietly with them and let them run around you, hop up on you, peck your shoelaces, stuff like that. Not saying you won't have some who like attention, but they're chickens. They're not puppies.

Take lots of pictures. They grow faster than you can imagine!

4. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    How old are they going to be when you get them?

You can also make them a little perch in their brooder (this can be a simple as a little piece of wood a few inches off the floor of the brooder). Mine seemed to enjoy that. I also put a little log in their brooder once they got a little bit bigger for them to perch on.

Congrats! [​IMG]

Dont forget to post pics! [​IMG]

5. Rachy

Rachy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2011
    UK
    Quote:This is SO true, they've scared the life out of every member of the family [​IMG]

6. JoePa

JoePa Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2011
    Lehigh County Pa.
    Don't get too attached to them - then if one bites the dust you won't collapse - remember the old saying - "a bird in the hand is better than one in the bush " - [​IMG]

7. silkeysandra

silkeysandra Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2008
    grand prairie, tx
    i started with pullets--teenage girls and feel that's the way to go for beginners. I was given two pet Silkies for Christmas and I now have 6 pet chickens, 4 Silkies and 2 Belgian Mille Fleurs. The Silkies are the easiest to care for, quiet and give an egg every so often. They are recommended for novices, like me, and they are hearty enough to seem to do ok. I do extra to keep them cool and warm, so it's not like they take no care at all. a safe place to sleep is all they seem to want.==well good layer feed and fresh water. They get daily fresh water and feed, plus all the bugs they can eat in our backyard.

8. stcroixusvi

stcroixusvi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Western NC
    My Coop
    and they peck each others' eyes at first - especially the lighter colored chicks. They peck at anything, actually.

9. horsefreak

horsefreak Out Of The Brooder

Jun 5, 2011
    Hi
    First make sure that the brooder is not to hot- use a 75 to 90 watt bulb- no higher, no lower!
    Read the sticky in "Raising Baby Chicks" it will be helpful;)
    LOL
    Horsefreak

10. ll

ll Chillin' With My Peeps

Be prepared for alot of little poop [​IMG]

I didn't handle ours for a few days to let them get settled in and used to the sight of us.

Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by