Anything special I need to do to move them to coop

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by bobbieschicks, Aug 8, 2011.

1. bobbieschicks

bobbieschicks Chicken Tender

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    I have 3.5 week old White Leghorns and I'm planning on moving them into their coop this week - they'll be 4 weeks old on Saturday. We're in VA and it's been 90+F in the day & humid and 75-85F in the evenings.

Can I simply move them out there with a supply of water and food? Do I need to put a heat lamp out with them? Should I leave them in the brooder in the coop or give them free run of it?

I'm finishing up the hardware cloth this week and painting the coop in preparation of their move. My plan is to put them in the coop on Thursday morning to stay. But of course I'm nervous about it.

2. Tripp16

Tripp16 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    Its always stressful putting the babies out for the first time.

I have heard of people putting a heat lamp in at night for them just to keep them comfortable. I havent ever done it with mine mainly because mine normally already know how to roost from a stick in their brooder.

I did put a little shoe box they like to play in just in case they got overwelmed.

As long as its warm they should be fine. What you have to do is get through that first night!! [​IMG]

Good luck!! [​IMG]

3. bobbieschicks

bobbieschicks Chicken Tender

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    Quote:Thanks - I'm thinking the problems will really be with me and not them - LOL - I'm sure they'll be fine. And the move day may be sooner as our new little ones are starting to pip early.

4. turbodog

turbodog Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Independence, La.
    bobbieschicks[/quote :

Thanks - I'm thinking the problems will really be with me and not them - LOL - I'm sure they'll be fine. And the move day may be sooner as our new little ones are starting to pip early.

Yep, your babies will be fine. Looks like the temps are good enough you won't really need a heat lamp out there. They'll pile up to sleep like they already do anyway.

They'll love all the room to run around! [​IMG] [​IMG]

Good luck on your first night out! [​IMG]

5. Wildflower_VA

Wildflower_VA Chillin' With My Peeps

I live in Western Virginia, with comparable temps to yours, and the chicks that I got from Meyer Hatchery that were three weeks old yesterday only had a heat lamp for a few hours the first night. I have had more trouble with keeping them cool enough, so they have been out on the porch from the time they were a week old.

I am putting them out in a covered pasture pen (inside electric poultry netting) at the end of the week. I like the fact that not using a heat lamp, they started out being in the dark at night, so no stressing them out by taking their light away at night. I feel that they have adapted to the changing temperatures naturally, much like chicks raised by a broody hen. Raising chicks in summer has been much easier than the chicks I raised back in March, when we had extended cold, windy and rainy weather.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by