Anything to help this baby??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by flopsy, Aug 11, 2010.

1. flopsy

flopsy Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2008
    Hey, y'all; been away from forum for a long time. (Just me and my chicks, both human and feathered taking a break). But, of course, I need your help now on a decision with this 2-week old chick. His/her right leg is turned at the hip. The toes of the foot point behind her/him. I've tried turning the leg and putting something around it to hold it forward, but the chick won't try to move around then, just lies there and the mama hen, of course, wants that strange wrap off her baby. We want our grandson to know that handicapped does not mean "shoot it." (He's 10) That we all have handicaps of one sort or another. The little chick is getting around good on one leg, but as he gets older I know the others will pick on him/her. Suggestions . . . .

2. roodle2

roodle2 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2010
    We had a newly hatched chick who could stand then suddenly his leg started pointing in the wrong direction. I found info on the internet about splay leg with pictures showing how to put a bandaid around both legs to hold them in the right place for about 10 days. the chick hated it but it worked and she is fine now at about 6 months old. Good luck.

3. Pardee_Boy

Pardee_Boy Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2010
    Blissfield MI
    same as above tried to splint/hobble brace one of my chicks it didn't work but give it a shot. Try searching on BYC for answers it helped me. I also saw some crazy thing about a chick seat? keeps them still while they heal. just work with it and hope for the best. Also try the Hock joint tendon deal too he could of slipped the tendon out of place and it needs to go back. Just a thought good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by