Anything to stretch the food out?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by mochicken, Oct 14, 2011.

1. mochicken

mochicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    NW Missouri
    I have a flock of 15 pullets and 3 roos, I let them freerange until a few days ago when I locked them in their coop and run until they start laying in the nests, they are just beginning to lay and they were laying in the yard so I am trying to train them to lay in the nest boxes instead then they will be allowed to freerange again.

Anyway to the point, I feed them layer crumbles only because they were supplementing their own "treats" by eating bugs, greens, and whatever else they could find in the property. Since I locked them up they have gone through a 3 times as much food as normal, I have to go to the TSC today to get layer crumbles again, what can I get to mix with their food to "fill them up" so they dont eat so darn much?

2. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    You don't really want just a filler since they need the protein in the pellets. Try rationing their portions. I've found this works much better for me. Instead of filling their feeder full I give them only so much everyday. I've found that by doing this they don't waste as much as I also am not going through as much food. Plus I put my layers on 20% chick grower and give them oysters shells free choice. With 42 chickens I go through about 50 pounds a week!! They also get a few cupfuls of scratch grains thrown to them a day!!

Last edited: Oct 14, 2011
  3. mochicken

Apr 27, 2011
    NW Missouri
    I wanted to keep giving them layer crumbles, just wanted to give them something else too, maybe something cheaper to mix in with the layer crumbles?

4. cpegram

cpegram Chillin' With My Peeps

I mix cracked corn in with the crumble it helps

5. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    You could free range them for the afternoon only, when most of them have had a chance to lay. Or just free range them all day, and pen them up later when more are laying.

6. mochicken

Apr 27, 2011
    NW Missouri
    Yeah thats kinda what I thought too, maybe I will just freerange them in the afternoons, I have been getting used to not tripping over chickens every time I go out in my yard though lol

I will get cracked corn today and mix it in their crumbles and give that a shot.

7. Cindy in PA

Cindy in PA Overrun With Chickens

Jul 8, 2008
    Fleetwood, PA
    Quote:I hope they are free ranging or get other stuff, because 42 chickens should go through about 98 lbs a week if that's all they are eating. Chickens will eat about 1/3 lb. per day if they get nothing else.

8. MIKE555444

MIKE555444 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2009
    Pliny, West Virgina
  9. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Cracked corn will not save you very much money. a 50# bag of corn is virtually the same as layer mash, at our local mill. Obviously, if 75% of the layer mash is corn, with added soybeans, wheat and minerals and such, there just isn't going to be much price difference. When you think of the lowering of the protein and calcium, it just isn't hardly worth it. Plus, you risk some birds beaking out pellets to find the corn bits.

10. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Quote:I hope they are free ranging or get other stuff, because 42 chickens should go through about 98 lbs a week if that's all they are eating. Chickens will eat about 1/3 lb. per day if they get nothing else.

Nope they don't freerange at all anymore. And they also eat as much as they want since there's food left over everyday. I just don't fill there feeders up full everyday!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by