Anything up in Ashland Oregon area affecting chickens right now??

Terri Moehle

Hatching
Oct 31, 2020
Hello chicken peeps! Helping a dear friend in Ashland with 6 beautiful 3 to 4 year old hens kept in lovely chicken coup at night with free roam during the day. One died suddenly one week ago and another today. Molting, one day they both felt a little off, then passed next morning. Just wondering if anything is going around here in Ashland or if the summer fires has affected their respiratory systems. All thoughts welcome!
lesleychickens.jpg

Last edited:

msiler

Songster
Nov 26, 2018
Hello chicken peeps! Helping a dear friend in Ashland with 6 beautiful 3 to 4 year old hens kept in lovely chicken coup at night with free roam during the day. One died suddenly one week ago and another today. Molting, one day they both felt a little off, then passed next morning. Just wondering if anything is going around here in Ashland or if the summer fires has affected their respiratory systems. All thoughts welcome! View attachment 2394236
Well as someone who just moved from Ashland, I feel obliged to answer!
We moved before the fires got really bad, so I'm not going to be much help. I do know that are chickens did not have any issues with the smoke this year or in years past.

Wyorp Rock

Blessed
Premium Feather Member
Sep 20, 2015
Southern N.C. Mountains
Hello chicken peeps! Helping a dear friend in Ashland with 6 beautiful 3 to 4 year old hens kept in lovely chicken coup at night with free roam during the day. One died suddenly one week ago and another today. Molting, one day they both felt a little off, then passed next morning. Just wondering if anything is going around here in Ashland or if the summer fires has affected their respiratory systems. All thoughts welcome! View attachment 2394236
Welcome To BYC!

A lot of times the only way to figure out the cause of death would be to have necropsy, either send the carcass to your state lab or perform one yourself. Sometimes you may see something obvious. https://www.metzerfarms.com/PoultryLabs.cfm

3-4 year old hens, it may have been reproductive issues but really hard to know.

Your state lab may also know if there's any diseases affecting chickens in your area, you could also contact your local Ag Extension Office.

Dephora

Chirping
Apr 30, 2020
Southern Oregon
I live an hour from your friend and I can tell you that all my chickens have always been fine with the smoke. I have not heard of anything going around. There are alot of things it could have been, I agree if you really want to know then you should do a necropsy. It may save the chickens she has left to do so.

https://vetmed.oregonstate.edu/diagnostic/tests/necropsy-small-ag-animal-poultry-farmed-fish-etc

You can drop the body off at their lab in Corvallis, it is 50 bucks. Nothing like a fun family drive with a dead chicken in a cooler. I take any excuse for an official reason to leave the house now a days.

Top Bottom