1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Anything wrong with dry dog food as a treat?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by jloftin60, Dec 24, 2009.

1. jloftin60

jloftin60 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 24, 2008
    DeRidder, LA
    I have an automatic dog feed under my garage for the dogs. Sometimes when the chickes are roaming, they will help themselves to some dry dog food.
    I have read the dicussion about feeding dry cat food, but is there anything wrong about dry dog food?

2. PandoraTaylor

PandoraTaylor RT Poultry n Things

Jun 29, 2009
    Alaska
    it would mainly depend on the dog food.
    But for a treat once in while it shouldn't hurt them.

3. desertgirl

desertgirl Roo Magnet

Mar 29, 2009
    Albuquerque,NM
    Mine go crazy for both the dog's and cats' food (wet or dry). I've limited their access, even though I feed them organic food, and I've also wondered this. I'll be watching!

[​IMG]

4. cw

cw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    green co.
    i cant keep mine away from the dogs food they love it, they even chase the dog away from her food, then gather round to scatter it every where

5. Ariel301

Ariel301 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Kingman Arizona
    Mine love dry dog or cat food. If I am having trouble catching them or getting them back in their pen for the night, I just get out a little dry pet food and they will do anything I want, just to get the treat! They're less responsive to scratch, plain corn, or anything else, for some reason, but they love dog food.

6. desertgirl

desertgirl Roo Magnet

Mar 29, 2009
    Albuquerque,NM
    SO, as long as it is organic is it ok to let them have a little as a treat every now and then?

7. twentynine

twentynine Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    Dog food doesn't hurt the dog it ain't gonna hurt the chickens.

Organic? Why organic?

8. bayouchica

bayouchica Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2007
    N.E. Louisiana
    It's the salt that's bad for them,I would limit how much they get.

9. dragonlair

dragonlair Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2008
    Maine
    Mine love cat food but won't touch dog food. I feed it to them in the winter.

10. Thortherooster

Thortherooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2009
    CA
    no no no no no!! if they eat too much they could die, and it makes them sick...dog and cat food have ground up sick chickens in them..the battery hens...!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by