Anything wrong with these eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ForgottenGlen, May 18, 2011.

1. ForgottenGlen

ForgottenGlen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2011
    Raeford, NC
    My EEs laid some blue/green eggs today that look different... I've been noticing increasing rough patches on the eggs, but never like this one, and the other egg has a strange dark spot on the bottom, but I wonder if this is from sitting in water (I already washed and dried it).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Please let me know what you think.

2. ForgottenGlen

May 8, 2011
    Raeford, NC
    Oh, and we have been feeding them calcium (oyster shell and egg shells) and layer feed, not sure if we need more.

3. Fritatta

Fritatta Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Woodstock, GA
    One of my EE's lays a perfect green-grey egg, while the other lays one with bumps on it like your photo. Every time. they both has access to purina layena and free range. I assumed it was just a trait of the hen. I have not seen dark spot like you show, however.

4. ForgottenGlen

May 8, 2011
    Raeford, NC
    I went through my eggs in the refrigerator, and I also have a pink one with the same dark spot on the outside of it. I set them aside, i will crack them later, not sure what it's from. [​IMG]

5. carolinasculpture

carolinasculpture Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2010
    I have one hen who always has the bumps on the end of her eggs. But I am not sure about the other. Good luck!

6. ForgottenGlen

May 8, 2011
    Raeford, NC
    Thanks Fritatta and Carolina, the bumps are okay then. [​IMG]

7. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    To answer your question: Yes they have funny bumps and discolor on the outside. Otherwise they may be a little fragile but otherwise are fine, we get them all the time from both EE's and the other hens. Just a bit of equipment failure.

8. Mark & Nique

Mark & Nique Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    South Carolina
    They look just like eggs our EE will lay every once in a while. They taste the same as the others! Enjoy!

9. darkmatter

darkmatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    I occasionally get eggs like that------seems okay/normal to me. They taste the same.

10. ForgottenGlen

May 8, 2011
    Raeford, NC
    Wonderful, thanks guys. I was giving eggs away to family members since they watch my little girl at no charge, and I didn't want to give them the odd ones. I kept them at the house for me and DH, but wanted to make sure the chickens didn't need extra calcium or anything. Thanks so much.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by