Anyway to encourage this hen to lay?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by duckncover, Mar 3, 2014.

1. duckncover

duckncover Duck Obsessed

Jan 17, 2009
    North Eastern PA
    She is a frizzle cochin bantam chicken.She was born August 31st. Her sister at my friends farm just started laying. She however is an indoor chicken. She gets a lot of light since the lights are on after it gets dark for a while. She just started getting layer pellets. Before that she was eating duck grower which was all I had. She gets vegetables and fruits almost daily. And she also gets treats like cracked corn or meal worms. I just recently gave her a nest box. I haven't been giving her oyster shells because they are expensive where I go. For calcium I can give her egg shells or I have some cuttlebone powder. She isn't in an incredibly large cage but she can roost and scratch at the ground just fine. I know her breed of chicken doesn't lay often but I just want to get my first egg, haha. Is there anything else I can do to encourage her to lay?

2. Patsonline

Patsonline Out Of The Brooder

Show her the cooking pot [​IMG] that usually works.

3. duckncover

duckncover Duck Obsessed

Jan 17, 2009
    North Eastern PA
    Awe I couldn't do that. She's a pet now! But to be honest I don't think she was supposed to get as big as she is, lol. I read that her breed should weigh 28 oz! But she feels more like a couple of pounds to me, haha.

4. Patsonline

Patsonline Out Of The Brooder

I was only joking .. lol. It sounds like she could be lonely as you know chickens like company and her being cooped up all day alone wont' help.

5. duckncover

duckncover Duck Obsessed

Jan 17, 2009
    North Eastern PA
    True. But I'm not allowed to get anymore chickens. She's in a room full of birds but they are not chickens. She does get let out once a day to walk around the house. And once it gets nice out I'm going to start taking her outside more. It's not like a deal breaker for me that she lays eggs but it would be cool.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by