Anyway to make the Alpha roo not so Alpha?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by MakNat, Dec 31, 2009.

1. MakNat

MakNat Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Ky
    I have a cochin roo who is the main dude. Hoss. Hes prolly 3 years old. Trying to star different breeds.. They are only locked up at night then they free range. We have 30 acres... But they only roam out about 3... He is very tolerant of most of the youngster roos. I have a gorgous leghorn ,this years, that I hatched and raised with Hoss. Hoss HATES him and runs him too far out into the field.... There is another roo a EE, this years too, that Hoss hangs with, The EE HATES the leghorn too... There are 30 some hens. Would it help to lock Hoss and the EE up in separate cages for a few days? Maybe they are just jealous cause the Leghorn is so gorgous. I just want the to all get along. I think they have plenty of hens.. What do you guys think??? Is it a lost cause?

2. Starscream4Ever

Starscream4Ever Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2009
    Chubsville, Duckyland
    Seperate him from the flock for a while untill a new rooster maintains order.

3. Thortherooster

Thortherooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2009
    CA
    make then sleep together in the same nesting box at night....it had worked for me...i have 11 roos and i have a total of like 40 chickens...

4. MakNat

MakNat Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Ky
    Would locking the 3 of them in a cage togather work? I really can't make them sleep in a box togather!!

5. Thortherooster

Thortherooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2009
    CA
    I guess but only at night...and get them out of it as soon as they are awake...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by