1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Anyway to tell who is the dominant hen?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 6RandomBrownLayers, Dec 24, 2011.

1. 6RandomBrownLayers

6RandomBrownLayers Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2011
    IS there anyway to tell who is the dominant hen? Mine will change the order of which they go out usually the smallest one is a Speckled Sussex and the first one out changing with my Barred Rock who is the second biggest. They all kind of follow each other except for the Sussex who will go out by herself. Is there always a dominant hen?

2. 6RandomBrownLayers

6RandomBrownLayers Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2011
    Anyone?

3. Johnn

Johnn Overrun With Chickens

Sep 5, 2011
    There usually is a domanate hen, look for the one who never get chased away from food and things like that and which one pecks most hens

4. Luciesbuddys

Luciesbuddys Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2011
    sorry im no help i have ducks that really keep all the chicks in line. I have co-dominant ducks my 2 female Pekings are the queens they go everywhere and do everything together

5. Fierlin1182

Fierlin1182 powered-flight

Aug 26, 2011
    My dominant hen usually makes nasty clucking noises and pecks the others during meal time. [​IMG] Oh, and she's also the one who, when I walk up with the food, pushes right up to my feet and starts demanding noisily for food. Basically the one who acts like the queen. [​IMG]

6. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Size doesn't matter. I have small hens that are above some of my largest hens. Look for the hen that eats first and pecks the others out of her way. Also, at roosting time - who gets their pick of roosting a roosting spot.

7. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Dominant birds will hold tail at roughly a 45 degree angle with feathers more spread than average for flock. Hackles will also be held fuller giving the body a heavier look. Dominant birds will also produce a growling guk-guk-guk which usually results in lower ranging birds moving away. The pecking is usually a more aggressive posture. Subordinates make themselves evident by holding tail feathers tight and either horizontally or nearly vertically. Latter is when bird is alert to something external to flock.

8. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Like this one. She IS the boss, make no mistake about it.

[​IMG]

9. Nonny

Nonny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    My dominant girl would mount the others from time to time, and also steal food off them if they happened to dig up a tasty treat.

10. poseygrace

poseygrace Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Georgia
    Mine is the one clucking at the other girls to go to bed when it's time to roost.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by