APA-ABA Judge

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Nupine, Aug 1, 2008.

1. Nupine

Nupine Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2007
    Ohio
    I was wondering, how do you become an APA-ABA judge? I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to be one someday. How old do have to be? Is it 18 or is it like a U.S. President, something like 35? Do you have to go through classes, take a test, etc.?
    Ashlyn

2. Kanchii

Kanchii Chillin' With My Peeps

That's a very good question and I'm not sure about the details but I believe you have to have pracitce at least HELPING judges for a few years and you do have to take a test and stuff.

3. LittleChickenRacingTeam

LittleChickenRacingTeam On vacation

Jan 11, 2007
    Ontario, CANADA
  4. Nupine

Nov 21, 2007
    Ohio
    Thanks! I am a member and I have a Standard, better start reading!!!! Oh, I have only seen man judges, are lady judges allowed?

5. LittleChickenRacingTeam

LittleChickenRacingTeam On vacation

Jan 11, 2007
    Ontario, CANADA
    I don't see why not.

6. Kanchii

Kanchii Chillin' With My Peeps

lol of course they are. I've seen two female judges, though yes most judges seem to be elderly men [​IMG]

7. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Most are avid showers before they ever become a judge.

Jody

8. KKluckers

KKluckers Time Out

Sep 4, 2007
    I see a lot of young kids in 4-H that show interest and move on to be judges or at least try (takes years.) The best thing to do is get out there and show. Ask judges questions and work on memorizing the SOP. I have seen women judges [​IMG]

9. Nupine

Nov 21, 2007
    Ohio
    Thanks! I am currently only showing Golden Sebrights, I have decided to stick with one breed for now, but want to try silkies soon, I have pet quality ones but I would like some for show. I won Reserve Bantam with one of the hens at a pretty large show, and recieved a Junior Champion ribbon in the mail, but that is it so far. But for my first show I guess it isn't too shabby. [​IMG] I am showing them at the Ohio National. I am hoping to keep showing so I can reach my DREEEEAAAM!!
    Ashlyn

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by