1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

**APA NATIONALS THIS WEEKEND!!**

Discussion in 'Chickenstocks, Shows, Meet-Ups' started by mainchick, Oct 23, 2008.

1. mainchick

mainchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    Southern CA
    Hey everyone! I am going to the APA national poultry show this weekend inVentura CA! My kids will be entering a variety of their chickens and I can't wait to see what happens! there will be judges from Canada, Ohio, Texas, California, Rhode island and Iowa! I am hoping to pick up a trio of beautiful bantam leghorns that are from the same stock that won big at the county and state fair!! Whoweee! Anyone else going?

2. mainchick

mainchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    Southern CA
    are you tellin' me no-one else is going?? weird.

3. L&Schickens

L&Schickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    Washington State
    I wish I was going, but it is too far for me. My MIL might be a judge for that one, I don't know. Her name is Eve Bundy. She is a nice lady.
    And good luck!! [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 23, 2008
  4. Kanchii

Kanchii Chillin' With My Peeps

Sigh. I might go next year, but all my birds tend to molt this time of year which really sucks. Some of them almost have all their feathers back to normal but my best rooster looks terrible and my other show birds are still a bit too young. TAKE PICTURES FOR ME

5. theOEGBman

theOEGBman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    Central California
    I wish I was going, but I don't have a ride! Maybe next year, like Madison said. Oh yeah, and take pics like she said too! [​IMG]

6. kobesmom81

kobesmom81 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2008
    Atwater, CA
    My husband and I are going! This will be my first show and I am sooooooo excited. My babies are still too young to enter but I am hoping to put them in next year!

7. herechickchick

herechickchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    Memphis TN
    TAKE PHOTOGRAPHS!!!!!! I can't go but I want pictures!!!!!! Please. Oh and if any breeders will, get their info and share it with us. I am so sick I am going to miss this show. Have fun.

8. backyardigans

backyardigans Out Of The Brooder

Oct 24, 2008
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Hi,

I'm new here. Anyways, we're thinking of going because we live so close in Santa Barbara but I can't find any information on their hours or shows. Can anyone help? Is there a website somewhere? This will be our family's first poultry show.

9. kobesmom81

kobesmom81 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2008
    Atwater, CA
    I typed in Ventura County Fairgrounds and found it on their event calendar. There is a little bit of information such as time and stuff. I asked around and it doesn't cost anything to get in. That's all I know!

10. SkyBlueEgg

SkyBlueEgg Out Of The Brooder

Aug 6, 2008
    Winnfield
    Hi All,

The Ventura how was HUGE but no I do not have exact numbers yet. Here are some early Araucana results from the APA/ACA 2008 National for anyone interested. I will brag on my birds first . [​IMG] I could not attend the Ventura show in person but thanks to the generosity of the SSFF group, I was able to ship two birds for the show. They unpacked them from their boxes, put them in their cages, fed and watered them for the week and hopefully I will get them back soon. THANK YOU SSFF for everything!!

My Black Bantam Araucana Pullet, Jasmine, was Reserve National Champion Bantam Araucana (Reserve of Breed - Best of Variety - 1st Place). My other entry was one of my RED Araucana, a new variety I have been working on for a few years now. He was 1st place and Best of Variety in his single bird class. But at least the variety, Red, had a representation at it's first APA National Show.

The BIG winner for the Araucana breed was Steve Waters, of Marysville, Washington, who was National Champion Bantam Araucana, plus National Champion and Reserve in the Large Fowl Araucana also. We are all used to Steve winning big at the Nationals. Congratulations STEVE! [​IMG]

We had a total of 9 Araucana exhibitors from across the country. And they exhibited 31 birds. It was a great turn out for such a small group of people that actually exhibit Araucana birds. Everyone deserves thanks for showing up - and congratulations on their wins - including all the placings, and Best of Variety wins that I don't have details on yet.

We will have complete show results within the next few days at the club's website. www.Araucana.net.

Ann Charles

Last edited: Oct 26, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by