APA Point System

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Black Feather, Feb 23, 2009.

1. Black Feather

Black Feather Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2007
    Does anyone here have a good grasp on the APA point system?

There is a short explanation on the website, but I'm pretty sure that is not all of the information you need to figure out your points.

UC

2. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Which point system? The one used to judge the birds or the ones used to determine if you're a "master" exhibitor?

3. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    Quote:Yup, here in the US we make everything more complicated. [​IMG]

4. rodriguezpoultry

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Honestly, would it BE the US if we didn't make it more difficult? LOL

5. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    Here, here [​IMG]

6. Black Feather

Apr 20, 2007
    The master exhibitor point system. It's eluding me....but then again, just about anything that requires cognitive ability today is just out of reach [​IMG]

7. MoodyChicken

MoodyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Northern California
    There's a scale of points for each species of poultry (chicken, duck, goose, turkey, guinea). Within the chicken scale, there is a White fowl and Colored Fowl point system. Each part of the chicken (comb, beak, neck, back, tail, etc.) is given a certain number of points for both COLOR (less in whites) and TYPE. So let's say the back is worth a combined total of 7 points. The color of the back is 3 points, and the type (shape, conformation) is worth 4. In a white bird, the color is worth less and the type is worth more. All the parts combined total to 100 points (so back + beak + comb, etc). So if you missed 3 points for the color of your bird's back, your bird would have 97 out of 100 points. Judges don't actually write down the points for each bird. It's more of a guideline.

Now if you meant the master exhibitor program, it's similar to the ABA program. You have to win a certain number of points within a minimum number of years to be crowned Master Exhibitor. You win more points for greater class size. So say you exhibited brown red Moderns. You win best of class in a class of 100. Yay, you get a starred win (that's what it's called in the ABA, not sure about the APA). If you won in a class of 500, that's a bronze star (the equivalent of 4 starred wins). You have to get 20 starred wins be considered a master exhibitor. It's something along those lines. It may be different numbers, but that's the general idea.

8. rodriguezpoultry

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Ok, just from randomly looking at it:

Any breeder who wins in the "Qualified Classes" will receive points. The qualified classes are and under those specifications that are listed. If the bird wins at a larger show (2250 birds +), then the shower get 25 points, at (1,500-2,249) they get 20 points per winning bird in those classes, etc.

Sorry if that's not the info you're looking for...LOL

9. Black Feather

Apr 20, 2007
    I was trying to figure out my master exhibitor points and read on the apa website that they are broken down into denominations of 5. So depending on what level of show it is you can win 5, 10, 15, or 25 points. Sooo....when I went to look at my most recent number of points I see that it's not a number divisible by 5....huh??

UC

10. rodriguezpoultry

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Did you ever have a bird tie with another bird? They "might" have divided the points between the two birds and then some person at the APA decided to round it up to 3 rather than maintain it at 2.5 pts. per bird?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by