Apartment Chickens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Wolf-Kim, Jul 22, 2008.

1. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    I was thinking about this today. I've heard of house chickens, so it got me wondering..

Does anyone have apartment chickens?

How did that work out for you?

Did your neighbors notice?

-Kim

2. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

This is a great topic... looking forward to some posts!

3. Wolf-Kim

Jan 25, 2008
    I was watching a show the other day(I always get the shows mixed up) and one of the characters had a silky chicken and a duck in their apartment. I'm going to guess and say Seinfeld..

(Yeah, this was technically a bump..but I'm really curious about this..)[​IMG]

-Kim

4. MsBentleyboy

MsBentleyboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2008
    Kentucky girl
    Personally, I would say NO WAY! They poop everywhere and even if you had them contained they would smell up the place. Also, they love to pick at the ground and they wouldn't have that ability (unless you took them out daily). Then that might create more problems with them being exposed to the ground and bringing in things.

5. fullhouse

fullhouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    MI
    I don't see how they would be dirtier than a couple big parrots. Why not?

6. Rick_R

Rick_R New Egg

Jul 13, 2008
    Mississippi
    one of the characters had a silky chicken and a duck in their apartment. I'm going to guess and say Seinfeld

Nope, it was Friends. [​IMG]

Rick​

7. Wolf-Kim

Jan 25, 2008
    I knew it was one of those. Thanks Rick.

-Kim

8. ninjapoodles

ninjapoodles Sees What You Did There

May 24, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    There are millions of chicken pictures on Flickr, and I remember seeing several a while back of chickens being kept on tiny balconies in adorable tiny coops!

9. Grammi

Grammi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2007
    Rogers City, Michigan
    Yes I have a house chicken, she wears a chicken diaper, so she is very clean. I have grit in her feed. She never needs to go outside, although I do sometimes take her out. She rode shot gun with me to Montana from Michigan when I went out to take care of my father ( my husband didn't want to change her diaper!!! [​IMG] ). She tolerates me!! [​IMG] I see no reason why you couldn't have an apartment chicken. I would try very hard to have a hen, though. A rooster could be a problem.
    Gail

10. SandraMort

SandraMort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2008
    ny
    I can't look right now but there was a NY times article about someone w a chicken in the apartment.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by