Apathetic Neighbor Kid, Roaming Puppy & Chicken Chaos

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by speckledhen, Sep 14, 2009.

1. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

It's almost roost time tonight and we hear my BR rooster, Dutch, screaming and cackling and alarming at the top of his lungs. I look out to see all the girls cramming themselves against the upper fence, and acting very scared and nervous, and looking down the hill at something. My DH runs down and into the pen to see if someone has been grabbed by a late hunting hawk or something. He then comes back, leaves the pen and calls up to me at the house that it's a dog.

I look over, see a pitbull puppy, not even three months old, at the perimeter fence (at first, I thought he'd gotten in somehow). DH says it's just real young, I see it has a thin collar on and then DH reaches over the fence and picks up the puppy. Since it seems to have come up the slope between our property and the nextdoor neighbor's, I called to see if they were missing a puppy (wasn't their own dog and I'd never seen it before). The high school dropout kid answers the phone and I ask him if he's missing a puppy.

He says, " um, maybe..." (I'm thinking, you dont know?!). He says, "It might be my buddy's". I ask if it's a pitbull. He says it is. So, I tell him that it's lucky that it didn't get into the chicken pen because my big rooster would have attacked and possibly hurt it. He doesn't say anything. So, I say, "Well, we have it here, so how do you want to get it?" He says, "Just put it back over the fence and we'll call it. " [​IMG] Dog had to come up an embankment, cross a gravel road, come another 20 feet or so up onto our property to the perimeter fence up on the bank.

I tell my DH, who does just that, but the friendly puppy doesn't want to leave (probably because it's not getting any attention from the guy and his buddy. Kid sounded a bit, well, spacey, so I suspect they were into something that took their attention away from the poor dog. Dog is in a strange neighborhood and had no idea where it was or how to get back home through the woods. They were either too lazy or stoned to walk up the hill and get the darn dog. Maybe the kid didn't want us telling his dad on him after we got a good look at his 'condition'.

If the dog comes up here again, I think we will keep it up here awhile and see if anyone ever notices it's missing. If not, my other neighbor works for an animal rescue and may get a new customer. Sheesh. Poor dog will get into trouble and someone will end up shooting it for lack of attention by the owner. There are alot of chicken owners in my local area, all around us, in fact. Lot of trouble for a neglected puppy to get into, sadly.

2. Boyd

Boyd Recipient of The Biff Twang

Mar 14, 2009
    MI
    a lil pit can be a great LGD Cyn [​IMG] Especially at that age. If it happens again I'd call over and when they tell you to drop it back over the fence, I'd let them hear the boom of a blank 12 gauge and the keeps it [​IMG] then again I'm evil like that and love pits.

3. speckledhen

Well, I think I can train a dog to be a great dog, no matter the breed, but I can't really afford another dog when my old girl passes on or I might consider that.

4. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Oh good grief...could you imagine Dutch or Suede getting ahold of that baby...wow what a mess. Either of those boys would hurt that puppy for sure.

Honestly Cyn, if it comes back. Give it a couple good meals and call your rescue friend/neighbor and let them find it a good home before the little guy gets into trouble or worse.

So sad.

5. mmtillman

mmtillman Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Brindlebtch

Brindlebtch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2009
    Texas
    That is really sad. Poor pup.

7. speckledhen

It's a pretty pup, too. If that pup had gone some other direction rather than up the hill and across the road to our place, he may have disappeared completely. And he still might if he comes back [​IMG] , but he'll have someone to take better care of him. Well, I didn't even notice if it was male or female.

8. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    C'mon. Admit it. You regret not keeping him. Hopefully, the kid wakes up and becomes a better owner.

9. speckledhen

I'd be tempted, but at this point in this economy and with the health issues my DH and I are having, it's just not a good idea to get another dog. I do love dogs, though.

10. Boyd

Boyd Recipient of The Biff Twang

Mar 14, 2009
    MI
    i hear ya there. Every time I am in the city I go see my friend at the humane society. It's so hard not to come home with more critters [​IMG] And they have this beautiful pit that has the same markings as spuds mckenzie from way back...... His name is Tyson. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by