Apenzeller Spitzhauben, Brabanter, Silkie, Egyptian Fayoumi ~ OK

okcarla

Seriously Downsizing (NOT)
11 Years
Feb 12, 2008
Tuttle, Oklahoma
I've got lots of hatching eggs to sell for $1 an egg and $12 priority shipping (shipping price may increase if buying over 2 dozen eggs) to anywhere in the continental U.S. and to Alaska!

Apenzeller Spitzhauben originates from Switzerland. They have small wattles and combs, so they don't have so much to get frostbitten. They have a well spread tail, full hackle and fairly hard, tight plumage. On the head is a horn type comb with two small rounded spires and the unique crest points forward like the bonnets on the traditional costume bonnets worn by the ladies in the Appenzellerland region. Spitzhauben actually means pointed bonnet. They are beautiful, curious birds that are a joy to watch. Hens lay a medium/large white egg. I am continually improving my flock by eliminating birds with the "Polish" looking tophats so that my birds are more true to the breed with the forward pointing crests.

6412_november_2008_027.jpg

Brabanter chickens are very rare, interesting looking crested birds that lay a medium/large egg white egg. They are said to be an ancient breed of chicken and to have originated in the Netherlands or Belgium. Paintings from the 16th and 17th centuries show chickens that resemble the Brabanter. The roosters have a distinctive V shaped comb which resemble horns. I have both cream and gold Brabanters penned together, so chicks will be a mix of both colors.

6412_november_2008_032.jpg

Silkie Chickens. Picture is of my partridge pen. They all came to me as SQ hatching eggs from all over the country, including Hattrick Silkies bloodline, and I only kept the best birds for breeding. I have a pen of blue/black, a pen of partridge, and a pen of white silkies. I only have 5 hens in each pen, so not a lot of eggs available at a time.

6412_november_2008_024.jpg

Egyptian Fayoumis are fairly small active chickens that have been raised along the Nile River since times B.C. They are very fast maturing and pullets may start laying a small tinted (off-white) egg by 4 months of age. The cockerels will often be crowing by six weeks of age. Males reach a weight of 4.5 pounds and females reach 3.5. These fowl are similar in plumage pattern to the European Campines. Legs may be willow green or slate blue. The neck is quite long and they have a very high, almost vertical, tail carriage. They are flighty birds, but not aggressive to people and the males are fairly tolerant of other roosters. I only have 5 hens, so not a lot of eggs available at a time.

6412_november_2008_022.jpg

I also have Welsummer chickens, but haven't taken a picture of them yet. I could sell up to 6-8 eggs at a time on their eggs too.

You can choose a variety pack of eggs too, I have other breeds available on another thread, and also turkey eggs available. Turkey eggs are $4 each, and are Narragansett, Blue Slate, Bourbon Red, and Royal Palm.

Carla, I would be interested in dozen Brabanter eggs. My last group of them from you had the highest fertility!--only 2 of the large group you'd sent did not develop. Then our big blizzard hit Thursday in Colo right at hatching, no electric...only one peeped. I very nearly cried. It took me 3 hours to drive home from work, a usual 30 min commute. The bright side is our grass & garden will look very good after almost 19 inches of snow.

Quote:
Oh that is heartbreaking! Our weather has been really crazy lately ... heavy snow on Friday, and in the 70's and a thunderstorm on Monday!. Ugh!!!! I can't complain though because we haven't lost power yet this year.

Just send me a pm when you're ready to buy & I'll make sure to add extra eggs for you!

Carla,

I have 2 empty incubators and would love some of your eggs!

Would you be able to send me 12 Appenzeller Spitzhauben and 12 Brabanter eggs?

Also as many Egyptian Fayoumi eggs that you can manage (up to a dozen?).

I will fire up the bator's and get them tuned up once you send me a note and let me know when and how many you can send me.

Have a blessed day!

Deb in NM

can I get 12 Appenzeller Spitzhauben, and 12 brabanter, I've got a spitz roo that has the gold gene and only one hen, both have the right kind of crests, and a Black brabanter hen, I need some new blood.

Paula

Last edited:
I just wanted to put in a good word on these eggs, for those of you who are interested in showing your birds.
This past weekend, I won Best of Breed with a gorgeous blue Silkie pullet from Carla (okcarla)
yippiechickie.gif

OK Carla's Spitz I hatched out, the roo won his Continental class in a local 4H show and the judge said he was one of the best Spitzhauben rooster he has seen so far. The only fault the roo had was he had a bit more black in his head feathers but the type was correct for his breed. This was last year's stock. Now I have only one of Carla's pullets that she will be beautiful this summer!

chickens072.jpg

She will send them on to you if she has any available! she packs her eggs WELL, almost too darn well that nothing will break LOL!
These are my chicks in Feb of this year:
SpitzChicks2009054.jpg

One of my hens:
DSCF0004.jpg

Oh gosh! I hope I hear from her soon. I'd love to know for sure that I am on her list.......egg list....not the other one! LOL

I want to know how much and when to paypal her, too.

Deb

Back
Top Bottom