Apergillus/Aspergillosis-anybody gone thru this?????

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by seminolewind, May 16, 2011.

1. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I have 10 6 week old chicks in a pen. 2 have gotten sick, one walks on her hocks, the other has one paralyzed leg. Both breath and then also gasp every 5 seconds or so. The rest look fine.

The only thing that fits is Aspergillosis. I'm treating with vitamins and electrolytes for now.

Is there any hope that they will get better and live? Or will they die?

The only source I can think of is maybe some feed got on the ground around their bowl and got wet, and 2 ate it. Would that make sense?

I feel real bad, it's never happened to me before.

Any hope?

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Hi , and sorry to hear about your chicks, I read about Asopergillosis when i was wanting to get a goose, it's pretty prevelant for goslings to get it, I have a goose who is now 4 years old and believe me I am very vigilant about keeping their bedding and food free of mold. sometimes their food does get wet and they do eat it that way. But living in Fl. you probably have a higher chance of it becoming moldy faster. From all I've read it's called brooder pneumonia and can also be caused by moldy bedding and there is no known treatment for it, here is a link that may make it clearer than I can, so sorry this has happened. In Dave Holderreads book, "The Book of Geese" he recommends culling all sick birds to keep it from spreading. and dienfecting everything the birds have come in contact with. I wish it was better news. Are you sure this is what it is? http://www.avianbiotech.com/Diseases/Aspergillosis.htm

Last edited: May 16, 2011
  3. seminolewind

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Hi Thanks Miss Lydia. Yea, I would think Florida is the mold place. Last week we had hot, then a storm, then hot and humid again. I replaced the shavings yesterday, they looked fine, however in the back corners of the doghouse they're in, I noticed it was wet.

I see it's not contagious . I'm assuming they have to inhale the dust (?), not necessarily eat a bit of grain off the ground?

How long would you give the chicks before you call it quits? They are no better or worse right now. I'm so sad, they are so alert, eating and drinking.

4. seminolewind

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Is this a death sentence?

5. morwenna

morwenna New Egg

Apr 16, 2011
    We went through what we believe was aspergillosis with a chick of ours recently. Everything I read said it was a death sentence, but we tried garlic (which is antifungal), and she recovered. Here's my post on it:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=6456932

By the way, if they're walking on their hocks, might be worth giving them some scrambled egg, too, for riboflavin.

Good luck, whatever you try!

6. seminolewind

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Thanks, Morwenna.
    I had to euthanize them yesterday. When I went out in the morning, they were gasping worse than they did, and the inside of their mouth was like a pale almost gray color. Not good. They were still eating, but to see how they were struggling to get air, it wasn't fair to let them keep struggling.''

The other 8 look fine.

I wish I knew what the source of it was.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by