Aplomado Falcon?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by CheekyMare, Dec 2, 2011.

1. CheekyMare

CheekyMare Chillin' With My Peeps

We have a nesting pair that have been coming for the last 15+ years.

Just saw one of them today so they're back for the winter. Are they big enough to do any damage to my chickens? Will my dogs be a deterrent?

2. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Are they big enough to do any damage to my chickens?

Yes

Will my dogs be a deterrent?

No​

3. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    It weighs a pound or less. It's unlikely to try for large fowl chickens. Maybe it would go for newly hatched chicks or small bantams.

I've got a couple of different small falcons that hang out at my place, trying to catch sparrows. The sparrows are about as big as they will hunt.

I've never seen any kind of raptor that has even minimal respect for dogs.

4. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    My dogs very effectively deter raptors of all sorts. Dog will chase a flying Coopers hawk (or morning dove) through flock. If a red-tail hawk or great horned owl were to attempt defend a chicken carcass from my dog, then they would be killed very quickly as talons and bill are but a joke to even a moderately sized dog. If dog is out of line of sight or dog is unaware of raptors presence, then and only then will raptor get away with kill. If dog is incompetent or confined, then raptor will also get away with poultry.

5. War Chicken

War Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2011
    Cue the famous Mongolian wolf-hunting with eagles video:

6. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Quote:Consider the maximum size of a golden eagle. Note they are nearly as large as what they attacking.

Canids being hunted are red foxes or coyote sized species or very small subspecies of grey wolf. Very few parties with poultry will be dealing with golden eagle controlled and promoted to hunt large and potentially very dangerous quarry like another predator than can a fairly significant portion of time kill you. It like using lions to hunt tigers.

7. CheekyMare

CheekyMare Chillin' With My Peeps

Well something made off with one of the nine chicks I put out(I must assume as it's nowhere to be found. The other 8 have been shooed back inside to grow a little more.

Shame. The big chickens were getting along with them fine. A bit of pecking going on, but they were fitting into the flock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by