Apollo's Diary

Discussion in 'Caged Birds - Finches, Canaries, Cockatiels, Parro' started by Eggnog101, Mar 19, 2013.

1. Eggnog101

Eggnog101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2012
    (3/19/2013) Entry #1 Hello, my name is Apollo, I am an Golden Mantled Eastern Rosella, and I am about 3 years old. I live in my bird cage, and the humans often change where the cage is. One day it could be in the living room, (I quite enjoy yelling when the tv is on, that makes the humans aggravated [​IMG]) the next it could be at the 'school table'. (Yelling and squacking when the humans are taking their exams is quite enjoyable also.) Right now, I'm in the dining room, right next to a bunch of windows. Whenever the humans sit down to eat, I squack until they give me part of their meal. It's only fair, I do wake them up at six o'clock every morning in the summer. However, the humans are quite cranky at that hour... sometimes I think they don't appreciate me [​IMG] wait... what was I talking about? Oh, yes, my favorite subject, me.
    I have been told many times by over 15 people (not that I'm counting or anything [​IMG]) that I am absolutely beautiful. And I am, I am a medium sized parrot, with a small, sharp beak that has pierced skin many times. I have long tail feathers, but the humans don't let me keep my flight feathers [​IMG] I mean, all I did was fly away from them, and ram myself into windows. My main color is a lovely cherry red, and I have black wings, with gold and green tints, under my wings, is royal blue. Because that's what I am, royal. However, no matter how much I tell you about myself, you will not understand my true beauty unless you see a picture, so, here I am [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Feel free to bow at my talons [​IMG]

Alright, now that I am finished telling you about my looks, let me tell you about my personality. I am independant, strong, healthy, and charming. Here's a rule about being near me(AKA, Rule number 1): If you're close enough to touch me, you're close enough to be attacked. No exceptions.
    Okay, now my family: The tallest human, who feeds me cereal at the crack of dawn, when he goes to work (I very much appreciate this, it keeps my tummy full until my girl wakes up). Then the tall woman, who attempts to feed me, and brakes my personal space rule. Then when I give her a puncture wound, I get told off. Totally not fair. Then there is the human who never feeds me, and is constantly saying mean things to me! I am not stupid, bratty, or loud. Then she runs her fingers over the bars, 'talking' to me (A.K.A, making annoying sqeaking sounds while violating rule number 1). Then there is my girl, she's the smallest in the family, and when she wakes up every morning (about an hour before tall woman and about four hours before rude human.) she feeds me either a: the type of cereal she is having, b: Some type of oatmeal, or toast, c: Fresh chicken eggs from my cousins, the 'Buffingtons' they, strangly, think the humans are the best thing to ever walk on the earth. [​IMG]or d: A yummy veggie salad. she also fills up my water dish with warm water every day. Every day, she forces me to come out of the cage and sit with her. Annoying, but I try not to bite too hard.
    So, now you know about how I look, how amazing my personality is, and how quirky my family is. I'll try to write every few days, but if I don't want to, I won't. Is there anything anyone would like to ask me, about my amazing life, my exciting misadventures with my girl, perhaps my dietary habits?

- ApOllo

Last edited: Mar 19, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  2. Eggnog101

Jun 26, 2012

Entry #2

Hello all, it's Apollo here. Something interesting actually happened today. Okay, so it was a normal day at first, I ate my breakfast, played with my toys etc. Then, my girl came and offered me her finger, braking rule #1 (do NOT violate my personal space), so, of course I bit her. She then grabbed a towl and wrapped it around me. After a few indignant squacks, I stepped delicatly onto her arm. Then she took me to the bathroom and closed the door. She placed her arm into the bathtub, and I stepped down into the warm water. It was really nice, I stood there, trying to keep my footing, while she gently poured some water on my back. I even let her smooth my feathers down. I moved my wings and got them wet also. Then she grabbed a camera, and took a really cool video of me! (I'll give you the link later.) She also took a picture of me [​IMG] : [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Okay, that's all I have to say. Any specific questions you would like to ask me?

-ApOllo

3. Eggnog101

Jun 26, 2012
    Hello all, it is Apollo, I have the video link for you:

4. Eggnog101

Jun 26, 2012
    Entry #3

hello... it's Apollo here... I'm sort of ashamed to write this, but I better, if only for future reference. Alright, let me tell you about my day.

I was so bored... I took a bath, ate, played with some toys a bit... it looked so pretty outside, but whenever my girl opened the door, a rush of cold came through to my cage. I sat there, being more quiet than usual, when my girl came to my cage and opened it. She placed her finger inside and asked me to 'step up', I know what this means, I just don't always do what I'm supposed to do. After a few seconds of me running away from her, I stepped onto her finger. then I flew away to the other end of the house. She slowly walked to me, and held out a sesame seed. Ugh, she knows my weakness. I love sesame seeds, but only the unsalted kind. She again asked me to 'step up', only, this time, I stepped on without a problem. She took me to the living room, and sat down on the couch and browsed Backyard Chickens. Before long, I got bored of sitting on her shoulder. So I nibbled on her shiny earrings. She said, "No," and handed me another sesame seed to keep me busy. So it went on like this for a while.
    Okay, now for the embarrasing part: Then, she got up and started walking to my cage. Then, I flew to the window sill. My girl offered me a sesame seed, I accepted it. She held out her arm, and said, "Ste-", I flew away to the dining rooom. She came after me, and did the same thing, "Ste-", I flew away. We did this for six rounds, before she got aggravated. "Alright," She said, "You are getting your wings clipped ASAP." She walked up all quiet like. And gave me a sesame seed. Then, all of a sudden, she grabbed me from behind! She didn't clutch me too tightly, but it was aggravating, how dare she! I bit and yelled and screamed, then I started all over again. She held me until I finally stopped fighting, and I realized how shameful this was. It was just horrible of me to be such a brat... I stopped struggling, and she let me go. I stepped on her arm, and she talked to me for a while.
    After that, she put me in my cage. I'm still pretty ashamed of myself. And now, my wings have to be clipped, I thought I was going to be able to keep them this time [​IMG] Here's a picture of me:
    [​IMG]

Well, I guess I learned my lesson. I hope I remember it.

-ApOllo

5. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Very interesting perspective...from the bird's point of view. LOL I am sure this is how many birds do think. Thanks for sharing!

Last edited: Mar 24, 2013
  6. ladybirdb12

ladybirdb12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2012
    Eggnog, I miss reading about Appllo, keep it going,
    to Apollo you forgot to write about yourself, you do have fans lol, my Lady (cockatoo) loves me to read about you, she is asking why I stopped lol.
    Please come back. :)

7. Eggnog101

Jun 26, 2012

Entry #4

Hello all, it's Apollo here. And I wanted to make a shout out! Hi Lady! I'm glad you like my diary! If you're your owner's avatar, you're gorgeous [​IMG]
    Okay, so, this week has been bad. You all remember my last entry? Well, ever since then, my girl hasn't taken me out [​IMG]. She says I have to get my wings clipped so I don't 'hurt myself being crazy'. I have an appointment at the vet tomorrow at 1'oclock.
    Strangely enough, she took me out today, looking excited. I flew around the house for a while, watching her look worried. Finally, she cornered me and picked me up with her hands. I bit and yelled, but she held on. She wrestled me into a piece of cloth, (Flight diaper) and I was really scared. I screamed and screamed, and then, she let me go. I squaked and yelled more, and did a backflip, the cloth clung to me and pinned me down. My girl hurriedly ripped it off me, but the lanyard got stuck around my neck. She grabbed me and pinned me down. It didn't hurt, but it was scary.
    She untangled me and held me close to her. I snuggled into her, and we sat on the couch in the living room for a while. Even though she was violating rule #2 (Do NOT pet me!) I allowed her to do it. I let her do that for a while, before climbing up her shoulder and preening her hair. As we surfed the web, she took this picture of me! [​IMG]

Goodbye all!

-ApOllo

8. ladybirdb12

Oct 7, 2012
    Apollo, this Lady, ok here is some very helpfull hints, POUT, BE SAD, do you know why, don't tell this to your girl (mom) this always work, moms feel bad and you get treats plus extra time out, almonds and peanuts, my mom always falls for this hehe, if she only knew I out smarted her, but I get my best treats if I do this. :D
    I think you are so cute, I love your colors, very bright and cheerful.
    Have you had popcorn (no salt or butter) oh boy if you have not you should, I just love popcorn, sometimes mommy will have a popcorn party, we get a basket full of popcorn, but darn it I have to share it with my teils flock too, but we have a blast, making a huge mess and eating it. I love watching mom do the clean up but don't tell her our secert ok?
    Oh yea that's me, mommy will post more pics of me LOL if I ask her ....
    guess what, your wings will grow back, so don't worry, but maybe you can hide your new wing feathers so your mommy don't know, believe or not you might hurt yourself when you have flight, me I got my wings but I don't fly Lol 17 years old and I don't know how to fly, but mommy don't take me outside I get really scared of airplanes, they might eat me, mommy says am a baby but she loves me, I own her.
    Will I gotta go mommy is making my food dish
    here's a big wing hug, from your buddy Lady :)

9. Eggnog101

Jun 26, 2012
    Entry #5

Hello all, it is Apollo. Hello Lady, so lovely to talk with you. I think you'll be happy to know that I pouted half the morning, keeping my head down, only playing with toys when she was away etc. She gave me sunflower seeds! (up until now, I thought the seeds she was giving me were sesame seeds [​IMG]) Thank you, I love your large beak... it looks very sharp [​IMG] have you ever used it against somebody?
    no, I have never tried popcorn, perhaps I will this thursday. (My girl, who I'm just going to call Sarah from now on, as it's shorter, has Friday off, so she's probably going to watch a movie and eat popcorn on Thursday evening, I'll have to ask for some.) haha, it sounds like you wipe the floor with your mom. [​IMG] and yes, our little secret.
    hmm, I never really thought about it, but it did hurt when I repeatedly smacked head first into the windows...
    We live near an airport, the planes get really close to the house. I had to travel on a plane once, all the way from Ohio to our house. It was pretty scary,and was way too loud.
    Have you ever tried French Fries? I had some on my way home from the airport, (The airport I had to come home from was hours away. Why didn't they ship me to the one five minutes away?) Sarah held it inside my cage, and i ate the whole thing, it was delicious.
    Here's The biggest wing hug I can manage, from your buddy Apollo :)
    Okay, now for what happened today. It was a normal day until about twelve forty-five, then Sarah came up to me. I cleverly ran away from her finger... then she gently grabbed me and placed me inside my large crate. I squaked angrily, I did not want to go. She picked up the crate and took me to the car.

The car ride was pretty scary, it had a lot of turns, and was bumpy. But what scared me most was the waiting. Waiting until I didn't have my wings. (I know, I will still have my wings, but I won't have my flight, which was God's intention when he made birds have wings.)

When we finally got there, we had to wait in a large room. Sarah took a picture of me, then we were called into a room.
    The vet dimmed the lights and opened the cage. She stuck her arm in and tried to grab me! I was going to bite her, but I was so scared I just flew away screaming, looking for Sarah. I landed ontop of something, I think it was a light. I stood there, panting, while Sarah walked up to me and offered me her finger. (Keep in mind this thing is about ten inches above her head.) I was just about to fly to it when a towl was thrown over my head. It knocked me to the ground. I escaped the towl and looked for Sarah again, where was she?! I saw her, just as I was making my way to her, evil vet lady threw another towel at me. I cleverly ducked and got away from it. Evil vet knelt down, and I paused, thinking she was going to offer me her finger. I heard Tall lady (Sarah's mom) say that I would step on Evil vet lady's finger. Evil vet lady threw a towl over me, and grabbed me. This was braking rule #1, (Don't violate my personal space,) Rule #2 (DO NOT PET ME) and #3 (Offer me your finger before resorting to drastic measures. )
    So of course I yelled and screamed. I could hear Sarah nervously muttering. I could feel cold metal on my wings. I felt the pain where Evil assistant was pinching my neck, attempting to hold me still. Then I felt my feathers fall, and I was back in the cage. Once I was back in the cage, Evil vet lady apologized (Which does NOT make it okay!) and said I was gorgeous. (16th person!) I could sense Sarah didn't like her very much, and I take my lead from her most of the time.
    It all happened in under ten minutes, and I went from this:

[​IMG]

I apologize for the crummy picture quality. To this:
    [​IMG]

On the bright side, I get french fries tonight! -ApOllo

Last edited: Mar 27, 2013
  10. ladybirdb12

Oct 7, 2012
    Sorry I didn't back to you but mommy is having a really rough time for a few days, she didn't get me out, because I get very scared when she is upset, I don't understand vibe, and mommy doesn't want me to get stressed because she is.
    tonight mommy is going to have our grandson over he is three months old, I love kids, sometimes mommy will put me right beside my grandson and I lay down with a blanket over me and my baby (Levi) lol when mommy checks on me under the cover, I hiss and hiss, telling her its my turn to love on my baby Levi.
    Using my beak, when I was a baby 6 month old, I didn't understand that a hand wasn't a tree, so mom and dad taught me, that hand, arms, or any other body part was not a tree lol. Mom understands my nature being a bird, just a few times did I bite mom, but my reason was warning her of danger, so I didn't get in trouble, because I bit her, I was just telling her in a bird way to watch out.
    one time just a couple of months ago, mom was cleaning my cage, and I went to attack mode bitting mom many times, but you see I was scared mommy was really stressed out and I don't understand that, plus the human flocks was high in fighting it was really bad, ...my house and my human flock always is calm and very loving, the house was full of love and happin
    ess. But somehow it turned very hatefull, mommy has a roommate, plus roommate daughter living wih us, daddy is si k, he has COPD.so mommy needed help and roommate needed a home, mommy is very nice and she always trying to help others, she stays away from fighting she just keeps calm and doesn't say a word when people yell at her ..but she soaks all the pian inside of her. Will for two months it was like walking on egg shells, the stress was so bad and I didn't understand that feeling so I got scared and attacked mom.
    but I use my beak as a foot, and mommy just uses my beak to lift me up. (Next time we talk I will tell very funny story's of my human sister bring her boyfreind over, you will laugh your beak off lol) :lol:
    will mommy has to tend to my other flock members, lol peacocks, chickens dogs cats, and her big babys two horeses, plus feed all of my bird flocks

Apollo, I think you need a wing hug, everything is going to be ok, huge wing hug from Lady
    mommy is taking care of our grandson, so I don't know when I can get back to ...
    take care, youare going to live popcorn!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by