Apologies, just remembered to do this...

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by erehwon, Nov 11, 2019.

1. erehwon

erehwon Chirping

Sep 6, 2019
    Apologies as this is a little late having put some posts on already (sorry about that).

We currently reside in Bulgaria where we survive by growing most of our own food, foraging in the countryside around us and raising chickens, ducks, geese for eggs and food also rabbits for meat. Before coming here we had never grown or raised anything so we have learnt on the go so to speak.

We have mallard derivative ducks, muscovy ducks, Toulouse geese, Backyard chickens and Orpingtons (only two but we will be using them to increase our number come Spring), Californian and Belgian Hare rabbits. All the birds and one rabbit have free run of the garden together during the day. We also have (we think) a Flemish Giant rabbit as a house rabbit (another communication issue as we wanted a small cuddly one) but he is an old bunny now.

We started off with chickens progressed to rabbits, ended up with ducks after buying what we thought were goslings then muscovies when we brought what were meant to be normal mallard ducklings, our Bulgarian was obviously not very good then or we were just conned!

We are still learning and still making mistakes and my partner would like a goat next but I am not sure the dog could cope with one of them wandering around his garden as he has only just got used to the geese grabbing his tail, besides with my command of the Bulgarian language we could end up with a horse!

2. TheChiggens

TheChiggens The Cluckmazing Factor

Jul 7, 2019
    Maine
    My Coop
    :welcome
    So happy you joined BYC!
    And I am excited to hear more of your great adventures! :D :D :D
    -Keep Clucking!

3. N F C

N F C thankful

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    :welcome

Great intro, thanks for doing it! I'll look forward to hearing more about your adventures in Bulgaria :D

4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Raven steals Christmas

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! :frow

No problem on the late introduction. Lots of members don't start one here. I'm not even sure I did one years ago. :oops: :lol:

Wonderful intro! We are glad to have you aboard. Pull up a roost bar and enjoy the poultry chat! :)

5. chrissynemetz

chrissynemetz I want a hippopotamus for Christmas

Dec 19, 2013
    Olathe Colorado
    Hi! :frow Welcome to BYC!! We're glad to have you! :)

6. DobieLover

DobieLover Easily distracted by chickens

Jul 23, 2018
    Apalachin, NY
    My Coop
    Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
    You could also end up with a cow!

7. BullChick

BullChick Enslaved by a Duckling

Apr 17, 2012
    Coffee shop
  8. ValerieJ

ValerieJ Crossing the Road

Jul 24, 2016
    Washington State
    Hi! :frow Welcome to BYC! Great intro and no worries, I never did one either. Just jumped in with both feet. Sort of the same way I got into chickens. :lau

9. ValerieJ

ValerieJ Crossing the Road

Jul 24, 2016
    Washington State
    Meant to ask what brought it sent you to Bulgaria? Makes me want to break out my Bulgarian cookbook.

10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years.

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to Backyard Chickens. Here in the USA we have a Sports/Outerwear store called EREHWON - NOWHERE spelled backwards.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: