1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Apparent laryngitis, 13 year old male cockatiel

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by grmatx, Mar 8, 2012.

1. grmatx

grmatx New Egg

Mar 8, 2012
    My little fella lost his voice yesterday. In all other aspects he seems fine. Moves around a lot, as usual. Tries to chirp all the time and sounds like a "heh" sound. If that makes sense. He's made a couple squeaks but not anything else. Does anyone have an idea what he might have and how to treat it? Thank you for your help!

2. constance

constance Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2009
    Tucson
    I see no one has posted yet, but you must be worried. I don't know anything about small birds, but it sounds like a respiratory illness that may require antibiotics. Search online to see what you find, and what antibiotics are recommended. Pet stores often have small bird medicines and antibiotics available over the counter. If it is a specialty pet store, they may be able to help you diagnose the issue, too. Of course a vet visit would be good, but is not always an option.

3. joypeters

joypeters Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2010
    northridge, california
    Please see your vet immediately. your chicken probably has pneumonia. is she shaking her head? that's a sneeze. but it doesn't sound bad yet, if she's still getting around. if her comb gets darker, it means she isn't getting enough oxygen.

joy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by