Apparently egg laying is all day event

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by pbjmaker, Feb 5, 2009.

1. pbjmaker

pbjmaker Overrun With Chickens

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    Does anyone else have a pullet that makes a whole day of egg-laying? This little blue frizzle will sit in the nest about 5 hours every day before laying an egg. I guess she is practicing going broody someday...

[​IMG]

2. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    maybe she is going for a world record? sorry not helpful.... [​IMG]

3. ams3651

ams3651 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    ive seen mine go in and out several times and sit for a while before actually laying but I never timed them. Maybe it will be less as she gets older.

4. omelette'smom

omelette'smom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    New Hampshire
    She's just teasing you!! When you reach under her she 's secretly thinking "Huh, made ya look!!"..... "Made ya look again!!".... when she sees you coming she tells her friends-"hey guys watch this, this is so funny!" And when you leave you can feel the eyeballs watching and you walk quickly before the humiliation shows on your face and they all cackle because "The yokes on you!!"[​IMG] Teenage girls can be very mean!![​IMG]

5. #1California Chick

#1California Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    omelette'smom :

She's just teasing you!! When you reach under her she 's secretly thinking "Huh, made ya look!!"..... "Made ya look again!!".... when she sees you coming she tells her friends-"hey guys watch this, this is so funny!" And when you leave you can feel the eyeballs watching and you walk quickly before the humiliation shows on your face and they all cackle because "The yokes on you!!"[​IMG] Teenage girls can be very mean!![​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. heyeddah

heyeddah Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2008
    Milford Ct
    She is so cute she could whatever time she wants. I want a blue frizzle!

7. waynesgarden

waynesgarden Feathers of Steel

Mar 30, 2008
    Oxford County
    I have one that seems to take all day, but since I seldom have anything else scheduled for her, it isn't too much of an issue for me. Her flock-mates think her to be somewhat of a prima donna, but I let them work that out themselves.

Wayne

8. pbjmaker

pbjmaker Overrun With Chickens

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    you should hear her scream at me if I come near her. I think she is a prima donna!

9. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    Quote:Are you sure she isn't broody already? The screaming sounds like a sign.

My pullets tend to take a long time in the nest when they first start laying. But other than that, the only ones that spend a significant amount of time in there are my broodies.

edited to say, BTW, she is gorgeous!

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2009
  10. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    The egg cycle takes 24-27 hours, from creation to lay.
    There is some older wisdom that says you can regulate the cycle by dedicated feeding only at certain times, avoiding the 'round the clock' feed buffet we've grown accustomed to.
    You give them a heavy feeding at night before roosting and only a small ration in the morning. The next big feeding will be around 1 pm and then another at 4pm.
    Finally, you "coop" the birds until late morning, before letting them outside for the remainder of the day.
    In essence, the goal is to regulate their physical cycles and the egg cycle will fall into place.

I've not yet tried it, and most BYC'ers seem to be rather cavalier about the whole egg laying thing. If the gang is interested in all this, just say so. I will read up on it in some of my ancient and mystic poultry texts then try to be a little more precise in future posts here.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by