Apparently it's HER day.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by prancie, Dec 4, 2009.

1. prancie

prancie Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2009
    Alabama
    I believe that one of my hens is going to lay her first egg today.[​IMG] I have 4 BO hens and so far only one of them is laying. She has been for 3 weeks or so. I've noticed a lot of egg laying behaviors from the other hens but no other eggs yet. This morning I heard egg song 3 times. I thought it seemed unlikely that all 3 remaining hens would choose to lay on the same day. Every time I went out there were no eggs. [​IMG] So my 2 year old and I went out to look for a hidden nest and found nothing, when we went back in the barn I heard the egg song again! The hen was in the barn by the nest boxes making a huge fuss, but there were no eggs to be found. It's been this ONE HEN making the egg song all morning long. She reminds me of a woman in labor, pacing around, kind of unsure of where she wants to be. [​IMG] THe rest of the flock dutifully congregates whenever she sings her song and sometimes they join in, it's pretty cute.

Has anyone had a hen sing the egg song BEFORE laying???

2. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    Yep! Some of mine "practiced" for a few days before doing the deed. I even have a few of my molting hens that aren't laying or are barely laying, still go in and sit in the boxes and sing their song even though there is no egg. It's always a good sign when a pullet starts doing it though.

[​IMG]

3. prancie

prancie Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2009
    Alabama
    SHE DID IT!!! There were 2 eggs in the nest box this afternoon!

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Congrats!

My BO did the same thing the day she laid. Pacing back and forth to the coop. Then voila, she laid her egg.

5. gsim

gsim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    East Tennessee
    I've got 4 breeds pullets and some of each breed has done what you describe. I have had one in a nest twittering while she was laying and two others squawking away at her to get out of that nest so they can do their eggs. Thing is, there were 11 other nests there and 10 were empty at that time! Chickens ! [​IMG]

6. Darlasmum

Darlasmum Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2009
    La Crescenta, CA
    [​IMG] Congrats Prancie! I have a BR who has been doing the song every couple of days for 2 weeks now- and am still waiting for that 1st egg. I feel like a G-ma pacing the waiting room. One of my BOs sometimes chimes in w/ her. None of my three are laying yet- but I am trying to be patient.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by