1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Apparently MPC is having extraordinary interest

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by JennsPeeps, Feb 26, 2009.

1. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    I bet the other hatcheries are, too.

A friend of mine recently took a class on "city chickens" in Seattle. She said there were 50+ people there. The instructor apparently knows or spoke with someone at MPC and said that they're experiencing astronomical growth right now. They're adding staff to keep up with the demand for chickens!!

It's great to see so much interest in this fun hobby.

2. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

It's because they advertise with BYC! [​IMG]

Lots of growth in this hobby for sure! Every member is doing a great job spreading the word.

OH, and a great idea to plug BYC with people giving seminars and classes... they can point people to BYC when they have more questions!

WOOT! A chicken in every yard!!! [​IMG]

3. SoccerMomof7

SoccerMomof7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Kansas
    I think it has something to do with the economy, if things get as bad as my parents keep telling me they will at least I know how I will feed my kids for awhile?! I don't know if I could actually eat them though. I am thinking about meat birds this summer, we'll see!

4. JennsPeeps

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Quote:Or a chicken in every (flower) pot:
    [​IMG]

5. texaschickmama

texaschickmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Poolville, TX
    [​IMG]

6. maplesky7

maplesky7 Flock Mistress

Jun 14, 2008
    N. IL.
    NOW that is funny.

7. Chicken Lil

Chicken Lil Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2008
    A chicken in every pot......[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 26, 2009
  8. JennsPeeps

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
  9. crzychicken

crzychicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] that is to funny a chicken in every pot I love it . [​IMG]

10. conradpdx

conradpdx Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    On my couch
    I don't think it's just the economy, though that is certainly a big factor. But I know here in Portland that it's kind of taking off as a gardening trend, and it's been building for a few years.

Until recently I was completely unaware of it till I stumbled on a site advertising a coop tour in the city then I found out I could have hens. And it was too tempting to resists.

I know the feed store that I bought my chicks at sold about 100 layers in less than 24 hours (I bought mine a 4 pm on a friday afternoon and had my pick of them and they were all gone the next morning about 10 am when I returned to get some medicine for one of the chicks that was getting pecked at), and it's an urban feed store that probably sells mostly dog food and wild bird seed.

And I've noticed a few hatcheries will ship as few as 3 pullets since that's the limit for a number of different cities (mine included).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by