1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

Apparently sudden swelling around eyes.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ibongopongo, Jan 18, 2013.

1. ibongopongo

ibongopongo New Egg

Jan 18, 2013
    Near SE San Antonio
    Hi, have an ameraucana, one of ten, with sudden swelling of its face--Left eye swollen, with foamy discharge from both eyes... unsure if has been pecked but the others weren't acting agressively this morning. Lethargic, although now will take food from my wife (this would happen when i'm 700 miles away). Sounds like she was isolating a bit yesterday. Others appear well.

Does anyone know if this is classic anything?

The thing that makes me hope i haven't been abysmally stupid is that they are in a previously used coop. We just moved to San Antone and the previous owner promised that there were no diseases, and that there had been no chickens there for a couple of years. There was old poop, most of which I cleaned out. As noted, the others appear well, though...

She's now in a cage open to the ground, will push water and keep the others away. With the "foam" i'm wondering about bacteria and how/if to deliver antibiotics...

Would greatly appreciate any recs...Thank y'all :)
    [​IMG]

2. ibongopongo

ibongopongo New Egg

Jan 18, 2013
    Near SE San Antonio
    Ok, did what I should have and found "foamy eye" post. Any disagreement that Tylan may be best idea?

Thanks
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by