Apparently, Winter broodies are going around!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by gryeyes, Dec 27, 2010.

1. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

See these lovely eggs? I took this picture late yesterday afternoon with my cell phone.
    [​IMG]

They're smack-dab in the middle of a grow-out coop in which nobody "lives." I was surprised to discover them there, although I hadn't found the usual complement of eggs for the past couple of days. The older ladies use their regular nest boxes, but the pullets have been moving around and "testing" different nest boxes of late.

I planned on gathering them all during my lunch hour today, because I knew i would need a footstool to give me enough height to reach over and into that coop.

But Gilda, an EE pullet, was covering them. And she bristled at me.

Well then. Okay. I will check again tonight when I get home from work - in the dark - to see if she's still there. If not, I'll gather all those eggs by the light from my special night-time baseball cap with LEDs in the bill. If she stays there two nights, she gets to keep 'em.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2010
  2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Well send some of that pixie dust my way! I'd love to stick my New Years eggs from my bator under a broody! Especially the bantam cochins so she can keep them warm.

BTW......Me thinks that's too many eggs for an EE to cover. (yes, I counted them)

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Serves you right Linda! Why am I suddenly getting broodies? Couldn't have anything to do with a certain incubator could it? [​IMG]

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    It must be contagious. I had an Orp growl at me from the nest this afternoon. I've never had an Orp go broody. And I'm getting 2-4 eggs a day; we wanna eat them!

Grrr.....

I chased her off.

5. gryeyes

Gilda was tucking them under herself, and none were showing. She is a large EE. Some of those 13 eggs, the white ones, are bantams' eggs.

Wait! Gritty, you begged and pleaded for a broody! I guess no good deed goes unpunished, eh?

Last edited: Dec 27, 2010
  6. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    I wanna have my hens catch it...I'll tell them about this...Maybe jealousy will work...LOL...I wanna broody...Will my rabbit that never comes out of her box make a good broody???? I'm serious! Have a great day. Nancy

7. mychookschick

mychookschick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2009
    Maine
    LOL I will take any unwanted broodies!! I love them.... Especially because I don't have an incubator... yet [​IMG] ! LOL

8. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    I am having the same problem with broodies. I have one silkie pullet who by rights shouldnt even be old enough and I try and break her up every day and she still just sits and sits on air. (Yes she is broody) A few other silkies I had to keep putting them in different pens before they quit being broody.

9. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Let's not talk about the fact that silkies like to go broody, pahleeeeeeze. [​IMG]

10. gryeyes

False alarm - Gilda was back on the roost tonight, in her Playhouse coop at the other corner of the back yard. Maybe she, too, is just practicing. I'm still taking all the eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by