Appenzell Bearded Hens

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by silkies4ever, Sep 30, 2007.

1. silkies4ever

silkies4ever Out Of The Brooder

Sep 30, 2007
    California
    Hey everybody,

I'm new here! I joined in hopes that somebody may be able to provide me with some photographs and information about Appenzell Bearded Hens.

I have 2 chickens/fowl of an unknown breed that I have raised from 2 day old chicks. The place we bought them from had them labeled as Guinea Hens, and they did indeed look like guinea hen keets.

They have since grown up and at about 4 months, they do not resemble guinea hens in any way, shape or form.

I have been looking up different breeds from this site
    http://www.ansi.okstate.edu/poultry/chickens/

And the appenzell bearded hen is the only one that resembles my two feathered friends. They have the feathers on the face that poof out. Unfortunately, that picture is not color, nor does it show the body, so I cannot compare anything but the head/face.

There is such limited information about them out there that I haven't been sucessful in finding anything to confirm my suspicion that they may be appenzell bearded hens.

If anybody has some info on this breed or some color photographs, I would really, really appreciate it.

I see you guys have a "breed ID" section as well that I may take advantage and post some pics of my false guinea hens.

Anyway, thanks for any help that is provided.
    Donna

2. Omeletta

Omeletta Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2007
    Alberta, Canada
    Hi, I just wanted to share a web site that might be helpful...it's called feather-site.com. Alot of breeds here, as well as awesome photos...this is how I found out what I have, and it has worked for others, too. Hope this helps.

Or you might try posting a pic, here on the site. Directions for doing this are found under "faq's" at the top of the page.

Tanya

3. silkies4ever

Sep 30, 2007
    California
    I tried www.feather-site.com and it didn't work. Is that the exact link?

I found a few rare breed associations and emailed them about this as well. Maybe they will be able to ID my birds.

I'll go ahead and post some pictures here. You guys can have fun trying to figure out what the heck they are [​IMG]

4. Queen of the Lilliputians

Queen of the Lilliputians Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2007
    Maine
  5. silkies4ever

Sep 30, 2007
    California
    Ok, that is what I tried after the hyphenated version didn't work. Thank you [​IMG]

That is the site where I was able to locate some rare breed foundations and email them.

I just finished posting some pics in the appropriate subforum. I'm anxious to hear what people think about these guys!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by