1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Appenzellar Spitzhaubens (mix up maybe) 8+

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by mamawolf544, Nov 10, 2010.

1. mamawolf544

mamawolf544 Unbreakable Heart

Apr 29, 2009
    alvarado, Tx
    My lovely old Pitt Buttermilk let my Spitz out of there pen. There is a possibilty one of the hens got bred by another roo. I really doubt it because they are a very tight knit group and dont like others. People included. I just hatched out some and they are adorable. I dont think they liked the Texas heat so they weren't very active then. LOL
    I will send you all they lay, and only one hen got out but remember it will be a risk.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

They are beautiful birds, great for free ranging and lay a medium white egg.

2. tallyho

tallyho Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2010
    Who might the other 'daddy' be? That trollop! I would bid on them but I have a full 'bator. I'd love to have some in the future, even if she gets out agian.

3. mamawolf544

Apr 29, 2009
    alvarado, Tx
    There is more than one hen. My hens and roos all live together, there is 1 boss roo but they all get along fine.
    More than likely nobody else is the Daddy LOL
    But it could be Turken, Ameraucans, Black Australorp, CM, BCM, RIR, plymouth rock, thats all I can think of, they are all pure just running loose. [​IMG]

4. Cat Water

Cat Water That Person

Jul 4, 2010
    Mid Coast Maine
    A turken daddy would be so cute! Oh, I wish my mom would let me at the incubator. (We just ordered a brinsea mini advance yesterday, but she won't let me have it until Christmas. [​IMG] )

5. Echoinghills

Echoinghills Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    NE OHIO
    Now those are really cute!!! They look similar to Gold Brabanters...which i only have a trio in, and cant find anyone willing to come off of eggs or chicks in them! Sigh!! Does anyone know a breeder who does the Brabanters? This is soooo frustrating for me! Now i am leary trying anything else "rare/unusual" because it is so hard to find others working with them. I do like these birds... soooo tempting!!! [​IMG]

6. mamawolf544

Apr 29, 2009
    alvarado, Tx
    I had prepaid for an order of Gold Spitzhaubens, and they quit laying before my order. [​IMG]
    I have only found 1 breeder that carries them. I dont want them for anything except pretty. [​IMG]
    But dont you hate that when you cant find what you are looking for.

And I bet the Turken cross would be cute, I have 2 Cuckoo Maran/ Turken cross both roos and they are adorable.

7. Echoinghills

Echoinghills Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    NE OHIO
    Yes...i think it stinks when you cant find something you really want/need!!! I have just a trio of Gold Brabanters right now... but i had a chance to get more when i bought these, and now i am really kicking myself now for not jumping. I just wasnt sure how much i would like them. I decided i REALLY like them after a week..love the markings/look, personality, etc... and now i cant locate that breeder (i met at a poultry swap) nor can i find anyone else doing them. Sighhh!!! They are on the Critical/Endangered list too..i didnt know that when i bought them! Would really like to keep them going!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by