Appenzeller Barthuhner not laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by krona1987, Sep 2, 2012.

1. krona1987

krona1987 New Egg

Aug 30, 2012
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Hello!

I was wondering if anyone had advise on a Appenzeller Barthuhner not laying? She is 6-7 months old and has been free ranging since May. We've penned her up to see if she;s laying them discreetly and abandoning them rather than in her nesting area.

Anyone ever had a Appenzeller Barthuhner? I picked her up as a 1 week old chick with her 4 sisters, which unfortunately we lost to a neighbors cat (along with 3 of our other bantam hens!) This is a very strange, fiesty, big hen!

Thanks!

2. mnferalkitty

mnferalkitty Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2012
    Minnesota
    Sometimes chickens never lay eggs and sometimes they hide them, and sometimes they eat them if the shells are not right. She is still young yet

3. Dick Dickerson

Dick Dickerson New Egg

Jun 6, 2008
    Hello there. I live near Springfield, Tennessee and wonder if you still have your Appenzeller Barthuhner or could tell me where you obtained your original four. Dick Dickerson

4. Dick Dickerson

Dick Dickerson New Egg

Jun 6, 2008
    I am desperatly looking for Appenzeller Barthuhners and Appenzeller Spitzhaubens. Can any body help a guy? Springfield, Tn. Dick Dickerson

5. Sylvester017

Sylvester017 Overrun With Chickens

Nov 29, 2012
    So. Calif.
    Greenfirefarms.com imported some beautiful Barthuhners but they are costly. Greenfire recently had an auction on some. It's worth a contact as this is a group that imports the rarest of the rare from around the world. I have contacted them on another breed and they are great at responding.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by