Appenzeller Spithuzens? or if not what are we? Pics added

sophiejw

Chirping
9 Years
Jun 2, 2010
I bought some Gold Spangled Appenzellers from the chicken auction. Got 3 chicks.
smile.png

I was surprised at the hatch as two of the chicks were mostly black and the other was yellow- thought they would all be the same. I contacted someone on ebay who was selling the same eggs, she said the chicks should be black so I thought the yellow one was something else...

Now the chicks are nearly 2 weeks old- the yellow one is looking like it is getting a crest and has no real noticeable comb. So I'm wonderinf if it might be a white and black one which would be great as that's what we really wanted, bought the gold eggs on a whim as they happened to be there at the auction and I'd had two previous unsuccessful goes at hatching ebay eggs.

The black ones are now puzzling me though as no sign of any crest / fancy hair do and they both have normal looking combs. They look like totally different type of chicken to the yellow one, not just colour but comb, feathering etc. They were 13 days old when I took the pics.

Pics below
Mystery chick no 1
59393_mystery_chick_1.jpg

and from above
59393_mystery_chick_1_from_top.jpg

Mystery chick 2
59393_mystery_chick_2.jpg

From the side

Can anyone suggest what they might be??
59393_mystery_chick_2_side_on.jpg

Mystery chick 3
59393_mystery_chick_3.jpg

Last edited:
Yes they were six small white eggs- and pretty much the same as the previous white appenzeller spitahauzen eggs i've had off ebay so I was quite happy that they were the same breed again

It certainly does it's cute
smile.png
Hope it's a hen whatever it is, although if it's a roo I might keep it long enough to breed to some of my barred bantams

NONE of them are Spitzhaubens. The first chick could be anything at this point until we wait and see what it developed to be, some kind of Polish mix or Brabanter or Spitzhauben mix. Looks nothing like Spitzhauben or Brabanter. I would not be surprised if it is a Golden Laced Polish or Buff Polish of some sort. They all ahve a V comb. and Spitzhaubens have a cavernous nostrils (bigger nose holes than most breeds)

The rest of the chicks looked mixed with Barred Rockcross or Aussie breed of some sort. The rest of the chicks got single comb and they are not certainly Spitzhaubens or Brabanters.

Another vote for "Not Spitzhauben". Spitz chicks are a soft grey (not black) with a little hump on their head, almost like Polish.

(If I wasn't on dial-up right now (rural livin'!), I'd load a pic of our pullet and cockerel when they were a week old)

Thanks guys. That's a shame No 1 isn't one, was holding out some hope for him. But he's so cute it's going to be really interesting to see what he grows into. Almost more exciting than if I'd had Spithauzens. The other two will be interesting too I guess. Maybe I'm not destined to have any- that's 3 goes now at trying to hatch some! My daughter keeps nagging me for "those dalmation chickens" though!

Back
Top Bottom