Appenzeller Spitzhauben question...

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by SunAngel, Nov 20, 2009.

1. SunAngel

SunAngel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    Chambersburg, Pa.
    Does anyone know if the coloring on these chicks is different between male and female or just random. I was looking at pics and noticed the males all have white wispy top knots and the hens have more of a poof which is mostly black. My one month old chicks top knot is all black and I was curious if this meant it was a female. Or can it go either way yet?

I figured it was too young to tell by looking, so I didn't bother with a picture. Was just curious about the coloring issue.

Thanks for any help [​IMG]

2. becky3086

becky3086 Crested Crazy

Oct 14, 2008
    Thomson, GA
    I really can't answer this for sure because I have just the three females but my three females all had the black topknot. Post a picture anyway, it always helps.

3. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    [​IMG]

How old are they?

Colorwise, they can be black and others can be white. One sure indicator is the V comb, if it is bigger and a little more redder, its a male. Yes the males have more pointed, more whispy look on their mohawks.

They should NOT have a Polish crest, just mohawks.

Here is an example of my hen:
    [​IMG]

4. SunAngel

May 20, 2008
    Chambersburg, Pa.
    Thanks for the replies. I went and snapped a few pics. What a little character! It would stop to pose for the camera and then want to fly around like a nutcase lol.

Here s/he is at 1 week.
    [​IMG]

And now at one month...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

What a quirky little ham!
    [​IMG]

Sorry I need a better camera, but hope these help. S/he is taller and lankier than my other standards, which made me think roo. That along with being the only of the 2 Spitz eggs to hatch, I figured roos were tougher. I have never had any Spitzhaubens before, so I have nothing to compare this one to. But after seeing pics of the hens top knots, I started wondering if maybe I have a pullet?

Last edited: Nov 20, 2009
  5. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    It does look like you have a pullet. [​IMG]

6. SunAngel

May 20, 2008
    Chambersburg, Pa.
    Oh cool! Thanks!

I only have 2 other white egg layers, I really needed another [​IMG]