Appenzeller Spitzhaubens .....my new babies.

DeannaOR

Songster
7 Years
Apr 19, 2012
Colton, Oregon
I'm so excited! I got 7 Spitz chicks today. I am definitely no expert..but after really looking them over at home I think I have 3 roosters and 4 hens. This being based on what I have read here. I was hoping some of you would point out some of the good, bad and ugly for me...as far as how they may or may not meet standard. I'm anxious to learn. I bought them from a woman who hatched them from eggs she got from a breeder in Seattle, WA. She told me they were not hatchery. She was wanting to start breeding them, but now has to move. I tried to pick the ones who had the most forward crests.

They were hatched April 7th, 2012

Last edited:
Aw, no responses.

I too, have a group of Appenzellers, and I am having a hard time sexing them. I know forward crests are a must. I am hoping they'll have some nice clean spangling, but they're only 3.5 weeks old and I can't really tell how they'll finish feathering out.

Aw, no responses.

I too, have a group of Appenzellers, and I am having a hard time sexing them. I know forward crests are a must. I am hoping they'll have some nice clean spangling, but they're only 3.5 weeks old and I can't really tell how they'll finish feathering out.

I'm dying to know if I did alright picking...and what more to look for. I picked for the most forward crests in the bunch, and I looked for good leg color. It's difficult to read a standard and then look at a bird and apply it...at least for a newbie like me. It's funny..the scrawniest, scrappiest little guy in the bunch is my favorite for some reason. I have the feeling he will be really pretty as an adult bird.

Nobody??? how depressing
roll.png

I am not an expert on spitzhaubens. But you have beautiful birds. I have 15 spitzhauben chicks shipping from cackle on may 30th.Hopefully someone will help you. You could post your pics on the spitzhauben and brabanter thread and maybe you would get more replies.

Back
Top Bottom