Appl Cider Vinegar~ Need suggestions on amounts and how to use it

The Critter Place

Songster
8 Years
Aug 13, 2011
Tucson, Az.
I've seen many posts here that suggest using Apple Cider Vinegar in the water for overall better health for the birds.
But I haven't seen an amount to use or how often.??

Quaillady, I think I saw somewhere that you use it. If so, could you share some ideas here.

I would like to use it for all my birds, parakeets, and such, along with the quail.

I haven't had a chance to get to a organic store, will Heinz work O.K.? It says "The all Natural Choice for Food" and 5 % Acidity.

I beleive its one tbl spoon per gallon, make sure you get the kind with mother in it, (the regular kind won't hurt your chicken, but the kind with mother does more to help0 And make sure you don't use any metal waters.

Yes, a tbl of Apple cider vinegar per gallon
wink.png

Thank you both!

Mother in it? O.K. I guess I need to get to a Health food store. lol..

Heinz only has apples and water listed as ingredients.

No metal, gotcha.
wink.png

What about summer/warm weather?
Does it go bad? if put out in the A.M and left all day? Does it need changed in warm weather,? if so how often.?

I'm in Tucson, Arizona and summers get down right warm.
lol.png

It is benificial to offer ACV once a month for a few days, however you can offer it more often. It will not spoil in the warm sun, however you should make a new batch each day. If you have hard water, it is advised to double the amount to 2 tablespoons per gallon. Most poultry enjoy the flavor of ACV.
smile.png

I have used it to treat sick birds and have had them on it for over a month. But for a maintence thing for quail, once a week or a few times a month is good for them.
smile.png

I was planning on using it for Maintenance. But will they benefit more if it is used daily?

I do have hard water!
rant.gif

Good to know it wont go rancid in the heat. I do change the water every day, but was worried it may need it sooner.

Back
Top Bottom