<applause> to Brinsea...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by bakerjw, Mar 30, 2011.

1. bakerjw

bakerjw Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Johnson City, Tn
    My first incubator was a Top Hatch that I couldn't get to hold a stable temperature to save my backside. 43 eggs went in and it looked like 5 or 6 might hatch but in the end only 1 hatched out and he struggled. Bob didn't make it past a week.

In disgust I did what I often do when frustrated. Throw money at the problem. JK. But I did buy a Brinsea ECO 20 in an attempt to get something stable. I had 20 eggs that I had started in the Top Hatch and moved them into the Brinsea 3 weeks ago. Every time that I checked the Brinsea the temps were running rock solid.

Well this morning as my wife and I checked e-mails etc... she heard a peep. Yesterday she heard a similar noise but it ended up being a bird outside. Today it was pouring so there was no way that it would be a bird outside. I started upstairs and before I got to the top I heard peeps as well. So far there are 2 little fuzzy butts crawling around inside with another zipping its way along.

So with the Top Hatch it was 1 for 43.
    With the Brinsea so far it is at least 3 for 20.

[​IMG] for Brinsea.

2. sonjab314

sonjab314 Constant State of Confusion

May 15, 2010
    Missouri
    YAY [​IMG]

3. Unclebean

Unclebean Rest in Peace 1977-2013

Jun 10, 2010
    Tower City, PA
    I love my Eco 20 also! You can remove the lid to candle eggs, add water, etc. and the temp is back up in no time!

4. cubalaya

cubalaya Overrun With Chickens

Nov 19, 2008
    central virginia
    i like my eco 20 but cant seem to get better than 70% hatches. i wonder am i turning them right?

5. bakerjw

bakerjw Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Johnson City, Tn
    I bought the automatic turner with mine. It seemed to do very well.

6. zekii

zekii Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2010
    New Hampsha
    I am about to buy a Brinsea Octagon, my old hovabator uses the wafer thermostat, and temp/humidity control was horrible this last hatch.
    Good too read most folks are happy with their Brinsea ... how about shipped eggs, have you had good luck hatching shipped eggs using your
    Brinsea ?

[​IMG]

7. DanEP

DanEP Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Cadiz Ky
    Well time will tell but I got 14 black orpington eggs from hinkjc including extras mailed from Pa to Ky. The post office was unable to read the big red letters on the box saying please call so they rode around with the mail carrier all day then were dropped under the carport with temp in the high 30's.
    Six never started but 8 made it to lockdown and I now have 3 fuzzy butts playing soccer with the other 5 eggs that all have pips so we'll see. Love this eco 20, rock solid temps and stabil humidity.

Dan Oh Ya one hour into day 21

8. zekii

zekii Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2010
    New Hampsha
    [​IMG]

Good too know DanEP ... hope you have more fuzzy butts !!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by