Apple Cidar Vinegar

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Going Quackers, Oct 12, 2012.

1. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Was reading a recent issue of Hobby farms chicken edition and they spoke of adding 1 tablespoon(for every gallon) of ACV to their water, do you do this?

I have braggs here already so it could be easily done, the chicks are 4mths now...

Last edited: Oct 12, 2012
  2. kellysmall87

kellysmall87 Chillin' With My Peeps

I have it in stock in case the chickens are down or ill or something. Otherwise, I don't use it.

3. GatsbysGirl

GatsbysGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2011
    Central Illinois
    Hmmm I do this with my dogs and cats. It is a natural flea and tick repellent. It is also supposed to be good for humans. Does it specify using the organic version with the "mother" in it or any old ACV?

4. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Good question, i think it was just apple cider Vinegar but i'll have to go look again... how do you do that with your cats & dogs? do you use braggs and how much, not heard of that before.

5. GatsbysGirl

GatsbysGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2011
    Central Illinois
    Yes I use the Braggs. I just put it in their water. I have a large rubber cattle feeder type pan for their water and I put maybe 4 tbls in it per fill up. During the summer months when fleas and ticks are really bad I also put a tsp in their food every day. It doesn't seem to bother them and I was able to go the whole summer without putting any topical flea/tick products on them. I try very hard not to use chemicals on my animals if I can.

6. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    I've started giving ACV to my chickens a few months ago. I heard it works for pasty butt, so I started with my new chicks. Never had healthier, happier chicks and in the middle of winter! I gave some to my older chickens as well and they started laying better. I cannot get any of the organic kind where I live, so I bought the ordinary one at the supermarket, but I hear the organic one, with the "mother" is even better. It helps the chickens absorb nutrients in their food, helps prevent worms and coccidiocis, helps prevent pasty butt, improves overall condition of the birds' feathers etc. It's recommended that you give them 4-5 tablespoons per gallon water daily for one week, then skip the next 3 weeks, then give it one week, skip the next 3 weeks and so on.

Here's a good thread about it:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/41321/raw-unfiltered-apple-cider-vinager

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by