Apple cider vinegar and oregano oil

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by shannon84, Dec 13, 2016.

1. shannon84

shannon84 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2016
    Indiana
    I've been using food grade oregano oil in my chickens water. I just bought brags mother Apple cider vinegar today. Can I use one in one waterer and the other one in a different bowl? Or what's everyone's opinion on both ?

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Why not try alternating them ?

3. shannon84

Jun 1, 2016
    Indiana
    Like maybe every other week or month you think? I was thinking the same thing! I just know both are so good for chickens and one of my hens always has runny poop [​IMG] I heard the vinager is good for that [​IMG]

4. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Why not just fresh clean water?

Cheers!

5. shannon84

Jun 1, 2016
    Indiana

6. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

7. nineyardsfarm

nineyardsfarm New Egg

Dec 4, 2016
    Western NC
    I use Apple cider vinegar a lot, because it lowers the ph of the water it seems to make it less manky, but I wouldn't give oregano essential oil (or really any essential oil) regularly. Oregano essential oils is anti bacterial and I would rather have it work when I need it than give it all the time and have it pose effectiveness for them.

8. shortgrass

shortgrass Overrun With Chickens

Mar 14, 2015
    Northern Colorado
    I use ACV for the beneficial microbes, especially if I need to start a batch of fermented feed faster. Helps with keeping algae from growing so fast in summer too.

I'm curious though, on the oregano oil. Is that an extract, tincture, or essential oil? They can be extremely potent depending on form and can actually burn if its not diluted enough.

What are you using it for? Just curious ;)

9. shannon84

Jun 1, 2016
    Indiana
    I'm using the food grade kind from my local Heath food store, I take it daily too, it does burn. But some chicken people and health store told me 4 to 5 drops per gallon. They seem to love it! [​IMG]

10. shannon84

Jun 1, 2016
    Indiana
    oh I'm using it for antibacterial purposes and it keeps Salmonella and ecoli at bay too! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by