1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Apple cider vinegar...how often and how much?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Amandahoney, Apr 10, 2013.

1. Amandahoney

Amandahoney New Egg

Apr 5, 2013
    Idaho
    I have 4 baby chicks and this is my first time raising chickens! I have read a lot About apple cider vinegar...how often do I need to do this and what is the recipe? How much ACV to water? My chicken are 2 weeks old. Thank you!

Last edited: Apr 10, 2013
  2. LeskoLayers

LeskoLayers Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2013
    Conway, SC
    gosh no response yet? I was looking to hear any thoughts on this too

3. Paul 1952

Paul 1952 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2012
    Spokane Valley, WA
    Well you want the ACV with the mother in it first off... my only hesitation would be how young the chicks are. I give raw ACV to my girls in their water and/or oatmeal treats... just a dab, maybe a tablespoon.... a couple in the water. For the chicks you'd want just a tiny bit depending on the size of their waterer.

4. Amandahoney

Amandahoney New Egg

Apr 5, 2013
    Idaho
    I have the raw organic kind. I might wait until they are a little older. Thank you!

5. christiethorn1

christiethorn1 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2013
    Upstate NY
    What is the vinegar for???

6. rockthecoop

rockthecoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2013
    Hi, I use apple cider vinegar for my chickens water, you can buy apple cider vinegar at the store like I do (although it is expensive) I do a cap full per gallon. My chicken like the taste of it and it also keep algae out on hot summer days.

7. Paul 1952

Apr 10, 2012
    Spokane Valley, WA
    It's good for their digestion and internal systems ... and it does keep the slime out of the water. If you search this forum for raw acv you'll find plenty to read regarding apple cider vinegar.

8. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    I try to marinate chicken for at least 4 hours before grilling. That's the only way I use vinegar.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2013
  9. Paul 1952

Apr 10, 2012
    Spokane Valley, WA
    [​IMG] Good one! :) I generally marinade in salt, some Dakota Buckaroo (liquid smoke) and some vinegar... don't need the raw ACV for that though. Must be time for dinner, getting hungry!

Last edited: Apr 13, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by