apple cider vinegar in metal waterers

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Irmasmom, Jul 9, 2016.

1. Irmasmom

Irmasmom Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2016
    Hello! I have ready a lot about adding apple cider vinegar to the water for the chickens to help keep the bacteria growth down and that it is good for their digestive tract. I saw an occasional post that it was not good in metal waterers? I have a 5 gallon metal waterer that i change the water every 3-4 days. Is this a problem to use it in metal? Thanks

2. limited25

limited25 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2016
    Oklahoma
    Yes, do not use ACV in metal containers.

3. Irmasmom

May 3, 2016
    is there reasoning behind this? Thanks

4. limited25

Mar 10, 2016
    Oklahoma
    It's acidic and can erode the metal .... which you don't want them drinking.

5. Irmasmom

May 3, 2016
    ok! Thank you! That makes sense! Its ok in plastic waterers though?

6. limited25

Mar 10, 2016
    Oklahoma
    Yes, it is fine in plastic.

7. RobertPlamondon

RobertPlamondon Out Of The Brooder

Feb 14, 2016
    Oregon
    Vinegar is effective against food-borne pathogens at a 0.1% concentration (see http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9713753). Heinz vinegar is apparently 5% concentration (http://www.heinzvinegar.com/faq.aspx), so by my calculations you'd need 13 oz of vinegar to sanitize five gallons of water. Seems like an expensive way of medicating chickens who aren't even sick...

What is the effect of water acidity in general and vinegar in particular on galvanized containers and the livestock that drink from them? I don't know. Galvanized waterers and stock tanks have been around for a century, and some areas have pretty acidic water, so the answers are no doubt known.

Personally, I recommend automatic watering systems. The best ones stay a lot cleaner than any hand-filled poultry waterer. I talk at some length about these in my book, Success With Baby Chicks, but it boils down to, "Use Little Giant automatic founts" if there's any chance that your waterers will freeze, or your choice of Little Giant founts or low-pressure cup or nipple waterers otherwise."

Robert

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by