Apple cider vinegar in their food?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by mychoock, Mar 14, 2012.

1. mychoock

mychoock Out Of The Brooder

Oct 1, 2011
    Does anyone use apple cider vinegar in the feed, as opposed to the water?
    I want to start using apple cider vinegar, the good stuff with all the mother and everything, but we only have metal waterers and so much cold weather that plastic is not a winter option (yes it is still winter here).
    Should I try to put the vinegar in their mash, which I mix up every morning with warm water?
    Any other ideas?

2. Erica

Erica Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2010
    Hi mychoock,

I don't use ACV, but I can't think of any reason why it couldn't be added to the feed instead of the water.

regards
    Erica

3. mychoock

mychoock Out Of The Brooder

Oct 1, 2011
    Thanks for your thoughts. The only thing I can think of is that in the water it would be more evenly available to the chickens, as they all have to drink. And in the food, some may be greedier than others.
    Well anyway, in warm weather I can certainly put the ACV in the water. If we ever get any warm weather. More cold blowing snow today.

4. lorain's fids

lorain's fids Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    New Jersey
    Sometimes I will add about 1 teaspoon or so to some quinoa or cooked rice when I give them it. They eat it right up. I also do add it to their water daily.

5. peter18567

peter18567 New Egg

May 9, 2012
    The information is very interesting. Now I'm interested in the properties of vinegar.

6. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    I give all my birds a wet mash in the morning, mixed with all sorts of things, including ACV.

I usually add it to the plastic waterers as well, but I recently ran out of it so I need to get somemore.

~ Aspen

7. blooming silkie

blooming silkie Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2012
    What are the benefits to the chickens by using organic apple cider vinegar? I am new to raising chickens and I drink organic vinegar 2 tablespoons 3 times a week in my green juice...I know it is very good for human consumption. How often do you add and what dosage used in their drinking water? I have a gallon drinker. Thanks!

8. BoltonChicken

BoltonChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Bolton, Mississippi
    Water is the best source since it only dilutes the vinegar and doesn't mix it up with other foodstuffs. The standard ratio is 1 tablespoon per gallon of water. I have been using it for over a year now, mainly to help prevent algae growth in the water system. Some claim that it helps with worms, but I don't know if that is proven or not. One thing: It MUST be REAL apple cider vinegar, not the colored white vinegar called apple cider vinegar like Heintz sells. The brand name I use is Braggs and is available in the health section of Kroger.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by