apple cider vinegar in their water

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by maryzee, Oct 22, 2013.

1. maryzee

maryzee Out Of The Brooder

Oct 3, 2013
    Does anyone here use apple cider vinegar in the hens water? Is it safe to give them this every day or is it too acidic? Started using it but keep hearing conflicting opinions! Thanks

2. country chick1

country chick1 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 11, 2013
    i use it every day, have for yrs, no dramas, even put a thingy with some crushed garlic in it for them

Last edited: Oct 22, 2013
  3. write2caroline

write2caroline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    I use it in all the watering places too. I use a about a cap full in the small waterers that are about a quart and a little more in the larger ones.

I also add it to the wet mash I feed them. I hadn't thought of the garlic. I am going to try it. I heard strong herbs like onion and garlic can make the eggs taste a little onionish or garlicish but I have never noticed that and I have on occassion fed mine onions,

Caroline

4. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

Yep. I use it every day for my Bantams and have done for 6 months or so. Started very slowly introducing it to the chicks as well :)

5. country chick1

country chick1 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 11, 2013
    i use 1 garlic glove crushed OR 1 tsp crushed garlic if i don't have cloves on hand for about 2 lts of water, i hang it it the water in a little baggie - chop the toe off a pair of stockings - leave it in the water for between 2-4 days then toss...never noticed a change in taste of eggs

6. timpsm

timpsm New Egg

I am curious . . . What does the ACV do to help? And garlic, how does it help?

7. Teila

G'Day timpsm :)

First up, I am still a relative beginner as far as chickens go, so these are my thoughts only and I am sure others may have different opinions or ideas.
    I was told about ACV by a friend who has had chickens for a very long time and some of the reasons he uses it are:
    * It apparently maintains a good pH balance in their digestive system and makes it a little uncomfortable for worms to live in. So while not an actual wormer, it can be a deterrent.
    * It can act as an antiseptic killing bacteria in their throat and is reported to keep bacteria out of their water. I know it is recommended to people with sinus issues also.
    * Some think it increases egg production but I can't comment on that because my 3 adult bantams sadly recently only became 2 and one has 4.5 week old chicks so I am left with 1 bantam laying eggs! Luckily I am not in this for the egg production! lol

I have always added a little ACV to the water when it is changed (twice daily) and now that my chicks and 2 adults are sharing water, they were gradually introduced to it before integration.

The jury is probably still out on this one but in my opinion, while it may not do all of the above, nothing I have read indicates that it is harmful.

8. katmon5

katmon5 New Egg

Nov 22, 2013
    At what age do you start adding the vinegar ?

9. Teila

Howdy katmon5 [​IMG]
    My little ones started on ACV at about 4 weeks old. They still had their own water supply at this stage and I gradually introduced them to it over a period of a couple of weeks, slowly increasing the dose to match that of the adults. They are all in together now (8 weeks) and have two water sources with the same amount of ACV. 5ml per litre of water which is about 1 tablespoon per gallon. Use raw, unfiltered ACV.

10. katmon5

katmon5 New Egg

Nov 22, 2013
    Thank you Teila , that makes the guessing go away .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by