1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Apple cider Vinegar in their water

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by NewMex Chicas, Aug 15, 2014.

1. NewMex Chicas

NewMex Chicas New Egg

Aug 15, 2014
    Does this help, or could it be a problem.

Our well water is very hard...So we thought maybe RO water would be better.

Then decided the Girls needed more minerals. So no RO water,

but we do add apple cider vinegar, could that cause a problem with soft shells

and egg eating.

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    What is RO water?

Egg eating usually starts with accidentally broken eggs.
    Soft shells is an inbalance of the proper ratios and percentages of calcium, phosphorus and vitamin D.
    ACV in the water shouldn't affect that. An acidifier like that does seem to help the birds assimilate calcium.
    Birds laying regular benefit from a balanced layer feed which is about 4% calcium and 0.65% phosphorus. Otherwise a lower calcium all flock feed and a constant supply of oyster shell in a separate container for those laying.

What makes up their feed intake?

3. Sylviaanne

Sylviaanne Overrun With Chickens

Sep 17, 2012
    Ozark, MO
    Yes, what is RO water?

4. NewMex Chicas

NewMex Chicas New Egg

Aug 15, 2014
    Reverse Osmosis. Very close to the purity of distilled. very little stuff in the water. we have gone back to well water. with lots of stuff.

5. Sylviaanne

Sylviaanne Overrun With Chickens

Sep 17, 2012
    Ozark, MO
    When I was growing up my grandfather raised bees and we would drive out to a valley where he had them for pollenating farmers fields. The farmers would have pumps to pump the water straight out of the ground to their fields and my grandfather would give me heck for refusing to drink that "dirty" water. It came out of the ground and not a faucet therefore it was dirty. LOL Now, 45 years later we have a private well and the water is always cold and good. It's nice not to have to pay a water bill on top of an electric bill. LOL

6. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Our ancestors would be appalled at the price of bottled water.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by