Apple cider vinegar in water or sugar?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by 09northernchick, May 2, 2009.

1. 09northernchick

09northernchick Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2009
    Or both? both at the same time?

My chicks came yesterday. I have one of those round galv. metal water feeders for chicks. I'm not sure how much it holds maybe 1/2 cup? I have just been giving them straight water.

Should I add something to the water next time? Can I do it both at the same time?

I've noticed they have quited down quite a bit today. They aren't running around near as much and not peeping as much. I'm assuming they are just getting used to their surroundings.

2. addicted2chicks

addicted2chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2009
    Michigan
    You don't want to use Apple Cider vinegar in a metal waterer. Only plastic.
    As far as your other ?'s I will leave it for others. I used vitamins and electrolytes in mine for the first week. Nothing else.

3. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    If they are acting fine and have energy then don't add anything. You can do more harm than good giving healthy animals things they don't need. ACV can be helpful long term (doesn't do much short term) but don't put it in metal waterers.

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Quote:You're probably right. But if they seem to be lethargic when awake, try dropping the temp in the brooder a few degrees.

5. 09northernchick

09northernchick Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2009
    Great! T hanks

6. I charge my chicks on the 4th day. I use Molasses the first few days (about a blurb) in the qaurt waterer you type about.

On the forth day I put in a small amount a electrolytes and the Molasses.

I do this for two waterers worth.

After the two I use the electrolytes, the Molasses and a small amount of ACV.

Afer these I put in ACV only a few more times.

I have not had a big deal with the metal basis. The amount of ACV is so low I have not had a problem.

The chiciks are VERY active and they are eating like little banshees.

Tomorrow will be day 10 for them. They should have a great start and their immune system should be kicking in.

I do use Medicated starter.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by