Apple cider vinegar in water?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Brittanymorgan1986, Jun 30, 2019.

1. Brittanymorgan1986

Brittanymorgan1986 Chirping

Jan 1, 2019
    Indiana
    I hear people talk about this all the time. I just wonder if there is any real benefit. I have rabbits. And thought about adding it to the water. But would love to hear some personal experiences with using it. What are the pros are there any cons?

Claires Poultry likes this.
  2. It won’t hurt them. Some people are faithful devotees but I am not. It has been proposed as a cure all forever. My high school boyfriend drank it every morning with honey in it for allergies but it didn’t make a difference, for example.

3. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Great Horny Toads

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I would not use it unless you also offer another source of fresh water. It's important that rabbits drink enough water. Adding something that smells and tastes bad could interfere with them drinking enough.

4. Claires Poultry

Claires Poultry Free Ranging

Mar 24, 2019
    Beach, ND
    I sometimes put apple cider vinegar in my poultry's water if they are stressed out. It greatly helps reduce stress in birds. I'm sure it would be good for your rabbits, too. :)

Brittanymorgan1986 likes this.
  5. I've added it to my rabbits' water since my last rabbit (that ended up dying due to an abscess) was sick a few years back. I don't even remember how we heard to do it, but now I always provide a bowl of it for them and then a bottle of fresh. If you do treat their water, always keep fresh in there with them.

I can't say it works miracles with them, since they also almost never get sick. I think I've heard it can help keep fur blockage low, although maybe I'm remembering incorrectly.

Personally, my rabbits love the taste. My old rabbit that died a few years back would eagerly wait by the bowl every morning so he could drink it.

6. Cryss

Cryss Free Ranging

Nov 12, 2017
    Northwest New Jersey
    You only need about a tablespoon added to a full gallon of water. When I first bought chickens the breeder said not only is it a good probiotic but it helps keep down the algae growth in the water. Btw, for good probiotic benefits don't use plain/clear acv. Get the stuff with the "mother" in it. Braggs is a perfect example. It's the fermentation that provides the probiotic properties. Just shake it up really good before each time you use it.

Brittanymorgan1986 likes this.
  7. Brittanymorgan1986

Jan 1, 2019
    Indiana
    Bragg's is all I buy I actually use it in my marinades so I always have it. I know it's doing wonders on my dogs ear problems right now.

8. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I doubt there's any real pros....other than anecdotal 'miracle' testimonials...and that it might help inhibit organism growth in the waterer, but there are better ways to do that.

Cons can be that it keeps them from drinking enough, as already pointed out,
    and it can inhibit calcium absorption.

ETA: Oops! didn't realize this thread is about rabbits.
    Calcium absorption related to layer chickens.
    :oops:

Last edited: Jul 1, 2019
  9. Brittanymorgan1986

Jan 1, 2019
    Indiana
    So I have decided that bc my rabbits look and act to be completely healthy right now there is no need to add ACV. No need to disrupt how well they are doing. Thanks everyone for the information and opinions. I'm new to rabbits and all is appreciated.

oldhenlikesdogs, Skye'sDucks and aart like this.
  10. Cryss

Cryss Free Ranging

Nov 12, 2017
    Northwest New Jersey
    I am a believer in probiotics which are in fermented foods like natural acv and yogurt (which is often recommended on here for various reasons for chickens) among tons of other foods we eat like sauerkraut and kimchee.
    As for rabbits, I don't know much about them. I only offered the information given to me because if someone is interested in using acv the amount doesn't need to be so much they won't drink it. I've tasted it and flavor is negligible. And if you're going to use acv for your livestock I believe in using the good stuff.
    I am curious about acv with chickens but that's for another thread.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: