Apple cider vinegar in water

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by brownhousefarm, Nov 24, 2011.

1. brownhousefarm

brownhousefarm Out Of The Brooder

Nov 11, 2011
    I have heard that I am supposed to use Raw unfiltered ACV but I cant find it. What would happen if I used the kind we use to make our sweet pickles with? Would it work?

2. JenniferNgo

JenniferNgo Out Of The Brooder

Aug 16, 2011
    Texas
    Do you have a Whole Foods or Sprouts near you? We always go to the natural food stores like that to get it. I think it cost maybe $1 more than the regular stuff. On occasion i have used the regular stuff from the grocery store and gave it to them, didn't seem to hurt them. They were just as happy and healthy as ever!!

3. brownhousefarm

Nov 11, 2011
    Ok I will put the regular in then go looking again for the raw stuff. Thank you

4. turbodog

turbodog Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Independence, La.
    General Nutrition Center (GNC) also carries the Braggs raw ACV if you have one anywhere near you.

5. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    Any health food store I ever seen carried Braggs. We shop at Ingles here in Georgia and they carry it. Even cheaper than the health food store.

6. gale65

gale65 Chillin' With My Peeps

7. brownhousefarm

Nov 11, 2011
    How about feeding the grey stripe sunflower seeds that have been hulled? I saw on the bag that they were 23% protein. I was going to mix it into their feed for winter.

8. clairabean

clairabean Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    Kootenays of BC!
    Regular ACV works great too. Just not as potent.

I would suggest tossing a handful of sunflower seeds on the ground for them to scratch at. A treat.

9. dragonlair

dragonlair Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2008
    Maine
    I have been using regular ACV that I mixed "turned" apple cider with. The cider was beyond the hard stage and was vinegar. I just poured it in the jug and let the 2 mix.

10. BeccaSmith

BeccaSmith Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2011
    Meridian, ID
    Why use ACV in the water? How is it beneficial and how much to use per gallon of water? I'm new with chickens in case you can't tell!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by