Apple cider vinegar- really?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by matimeo, Nov 14, 2010.

1. matimeo

matimeo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2010
    Oregon
    I've heard folks on the forums insist that if you use ACV in your chicken's water, it must be organic, or otherwise you might as well be putting cyanide in the water (that last part was exaggeration). But seriously, I've heard people post that non-organic (now I'm not talking about vinegar with apple cider flavor, I'm talking about vinegar derived from apples, but not organic apples) won't have any benefit at all to chickens, and shouldn't be considered. I think they say I'm supposed to get the kind with the lady on the bottle and the floaties in the bottom. I find this hard to swallow. Its like saying that if you don't feed your chickens organic feed, you might as not feed them at all. Am I missing something?

2. amydzek

amydzek Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2010
    ummm why are we adding stuff to the water?? is this something I am supposed to do as well??

3. matimeo

Jul 29, 2010
    Oregon
    Many recommend putting apple cider vinegar in the water. Supposed to have a health benefit. I like it because it keeps the water from getting as nasty as fast.

4. cpchicks

cpchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2009
    Sonoma County, CA
    Since you brought it up..................I've always wondered why it has to be "apple cider" vinegar. I'm not a scientist, but I believe it's the acid and the enzymes that are beneficial. Why can't wine vinegar or any other natural vinegar be used?
    Cheryl

5. herefordlovinglady

herefordlovinglady It Is What It Is

Jun 23, 2009
    Georgia
    we buy 20 gallons of laura lynne (from Ingles), ever two weeks for our cows weeks to put in their water. we put 4 gallons per water trough. It has helped so much with flies, coat color and I fully believe their overall health.

6. matimeo

Jul 29, 2010
    Oregon
    Quote:Great question. Does plain old vinegar have just as many health benefits?

7. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    Will be watching the thread, I've been pondering this.. Years and years, we have never used vinegar for our birds and they have been healthy. But I wouldn't mind getting some to give every now and then anyway.

-Daniel

8. herefordlovinglady

herefordlovinglady It Is What It Is

Jun 23, 2009
    Georgia
    Quote:we like this aspect as well. not only for the cows water troughs, but for the chicken waters.

9. amydzek

amydzek Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2010
    i love this site SOOO much! I am learning so much about my chicks!

10. matimeo

Jul 29, 2010
    Oregon
    As I think about it (and surf the web a little), I get the feeling that there isn't much of a chemical difference between the two types of vinegar (white and cider), but that ACV has a better taste, and thus its application with chickens or people or whatever. I would be very interested in knowing if there is anything more to it at all, other than taste.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by