Apple Cider Vinegar

ACV not only works as a natural antiseptic in keeping the water clean and free from bacteria, but is supposed to also be a natural antiseptic when consumed as well. Some people say that it helps deter mites and other biting insects when it’s in the bloodstream as well as aiding in healthy digestion at the same time. Some people say it’s completely overrated and does nothing and clean fresh water should suffice just perfectly fine. The ratio I believe is one or 2 tablespoons per gallon of fresh water.

Apple cider vinegar in any quantity, with or without the mother, filtered or unfiltered, pasteurized or unpasteurized or even homogenize if such a thing exists will do squat for the health of your chickens. At almost any price (and I have seen it offered @ $250 a gallon) apple cider vinegar only helps the bank balance of the persons or corporations making apple cider vinegar.

Now apple cider vinegar is being touted for everything from weight loss miracles to curing male impotency. So it your rooster is having problems in the bed room give it a try. The best thing is that apple cider vinegar only moderately harms a hens' ability to produce strong eggshells while salving the conscience of the people who feel guilty about not taking the time to provide their chickens with fresh, clean, and safe drinking water.

Last edited:
I keep it in the kitchen for cooking! White vinegar is good for cleaning windows.
Mary
And if you're as hard cased as I am, white or Moonshine vinegar is also good in place of a body deodorant.

And while apple cider vinegar has it's place in the kitchen it makes a muddy or rather cloudy pickle and the taste is nothing to write home about.

Apple cider vinegar in any quantity, with or without the mother, filtered or unfiltered, pasteurized or unpasteurized or even homogenize if such a thing exists will do squat for the health of your chickens. At almost any price (and I have seen it offered @ $250 a gallon) apple cider vinegar only helps the bank balance of the persons or corporations making apple cider vinegar.

Now apple cider vinegar is being touted for everything from weight loss miracles to curing male impotency. So it your rooster is having problems in the bed room give it a try. The best thing is that apple cider vinegar only moderately harms a hens' ability to produce strong eggshells while salving the conscience of the people who feel guilty about not taking the time to provide their chickens with fresh, clean, and safe drinking water.

that's a bit harsh and overly cynical isn't it? A lot of chicken keepers swear by it as an occasional tonic, own brand label is about £1/pint in the supermarkets (and given dilution rates, that's not excessive), and it's a safe and relatively cheap cleaner for plastic coops.

It's harsh, but I do agree that the whole 'vinegar thing' is exploited, for no good reason. Claims are being made that just aren't true, and that have no real research to back them up. It does work well on windows!
Mary

indeed claims are inflated, esp by vinegar makers, but that's capitalism, and is true in all sectors (esp poultry pellet makers) - but that doesn't justify throwing out the baby with the bathwater. As for scientific studies, here's a popular one. http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/art...j20/is-apple-cider-vinegar-really-good-for-me

Back
Top Bottom