apple cider vinegar

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by logansterling, Sep 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. logansterling

logansterling Out Of The Brooder

Sep 2, 2009
    I read in the turkey section that you can use apple cider vinegar to worm turkeys. Can you also use it for chickens? If so how much do I mix in with their water?

2. fordmommy

fordmommy Dancing With My Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Wisconsin
    I mix 1-2 Tbsp to 1 gallon of water. They love it. [​IMG]

3. logansterling

Sep 2, 2009
    Awesome thanks!!!

4. fordmommy

fordmommy Dancing With My Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Wisconsin
    [​IMG]

5. wjallen05

wjallen05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2008
    North Georgia
    cool thanks! I had never heard of this.

6. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    Please explain how a tiny amount of vinegar added to a gallon of water would kill worms in a turkey or anything else.

7. vnploveschickens

vnploveschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Don't use ACV in metal waterers. The acid leaches the metals into the water. Not good.

Use plastic waters.

[​IMG]

8. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    Apple cider vinegar at full strength is at 5% acidity-how acidic would a gallon of water with a tablespoon of vinegar added be?

9. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Quote:You can calculate it, you know. Google for the calculation methods. Vinegar is acetic acid, generally 5% by volume. Or just *do* it, and measure. Note that adding a tsp of lemon juice per quart of insufficiently-acidic tomatoes makes them acidic enough for safe waterbath canning, so clearly that sort of ratio DOES have a discernable effect on pH.

I do not know what good the calculation would do without knowing at what pH the heavy metal ions in galvanized coatings become solubilized, though.

People (generally harder to poison than chickens) have been seriously poisoned simply by drinking lemonade stored overnight in galvanized containers. Similar problems have arisen with fairly-acid natural sources of water in galvanized troughs. So it is not like you need concentrated sulfuric acid for problems to arise.

Pat

10. logansterling

Sep 2, 2009
    thanks for the tip about metal waterers... we do use plastic but that will be good knowledge to store!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by