Apple Cider Vinegar?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MikasGirl, Dec 8, 2010.

1. MikasGirl

MikasGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2009
    Coos Bay, OR
    This relates to my other topic, but I have a sick girl with sour crop, and I was wondering how much ACV I should give her?

2. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    I put about a tablespoon in a gallon of water daily, but for sour crop not sure.

3. MikasGirl

MikasGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2009
    Coos Bay, OR
    Thanks, I'll try to figure it out. I hope it helps her! Again, thanks for the quick response!

4. apmomma

apmomma Out Of The Brooder

Dec 3, 2010
    Northern Colorado
    sheila3935, or anyone else who can help, is ACV something that I should be supplementing my healthy hens water with, and if so why, or is it just used in cases of certain illness?? Thank you in advance!

5. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    I use it as an occasional tonic for my ducks. I had one that used to start looking all listless and "droopy" IYKWIM. A little RAW acv (Braggs brand) and she would perk right up. Not sure if she was eating something she shouldn't have or what, but the acv worked every time. Now I put some in the duck's drinking water once a week or so. They like it.

6. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

Quote:Unpastuerized ACV has probiotics in it that can help culture the digestive system and increase nutrient absorption. ACV also has plenty of Vit. C, potassium, calcium and good enzymes. All of these things can help boost the immune system and help prevent illness. As for giving it to TREAT illness....not so sure about that.

I've never had sour crop in any of my flocks, so not sure about the proper treatment for this ailment. I use the ACV as a preventative and all around health tonic for my chickens, sheep and dogs....and myself.

Here's a link that tells you just about anything you want to know about ACV:

http://www.apple-cider-vinegar-benefits.com/properties-of-vinegar.html

7. chickerdoodle

chickerdoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Oregon
    I also use Bragg's Organic ACV with the "mother" in it for our girl's water all the time. I put 1-2 teaspoons per gallon in the plastic waterer containers (it would rust metal ones). Supposedly it keeps the containers from getting slime, adds some vitamins, makes a less hospitable environment for parasites in their gut and helps prevent sour crop too. I figure if it does at least some of that its worth it! [​IMG]

8. apmomma

apmomma Out Of The Brooder

Dec 3, 2010
    Northern Colorado
    Our family also uses Bragg's ACV, just never thought to give it to our hens! Thanks everyone for the info [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by